Living History
Donate to LHVW

Woman Dressed in 18th Century Fashion Lives in the Modern World for Funny Photo Series

Leopoldina
@leopoldina
9 years ago
280 posts

By Sara Barnes October 19, 2015 3512_discussions.jpg

Photographer Thibault Carron imagines what modern life would be like if our fashion was from the 18th century. In his playful series And If Fashion Was , the Montreal-based creative juxtaposes scenes from contemporary culture with a woman whose outfit and hairstyle recall a time from centuries past. Wearing a tall and curly-haired white wig in addition to an elaborate grown with a circle skirt, corseted waist, and Rococo patterning on the textiles, Carrons subject goes about daily life as if theres nothing unusual about her choice in style. She uses modern technologylistening to music while on the subway, playing video games, and rocking out on the electric guitarwithout the slightest hint of discomfort or embarrassment. This character is also seen chowing down on modern cuisinea fast food burger and frieswith the same stoic expression, making it all the more comical.

There's an undeniable sense of humor in Carron's series.This unexpected culture clash is what makes the collection of photos so amusingthe characters long, impractical garment is too formal for our casual society, and it illustrates a stark visual difference between the 18th century and present day. The character, however, seems totally unfazed, adding to the joke and absurdity of the photographic works.

3513_discussions.jpg

3514_discussions.jpg

3515_discussions.jpg

3516_discussions.jpg

3517_discussions.jpg

3518_discussions.jpg

3519_discussions.jpg

3520_discussions.jpg

3521_discussions.jpg

Thibault Carron: Website | Facebook
via [ Photojojo ]

[SOURCE]

~~

LOL! My favorite is the one in the metro!

updated by @leopoldina: 06 Oct 2016 06:37:44AM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,905 posts

Yeah, the metro is pretty good. So is the shopping in the grocery store.

Thanks!

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Lorsagne de Sade
@lorsagne-de-sade
9 years ago
313 posts

Pumping gas! A hoot.

Jane Ixtar
@jane-ixtar
9 years ago
115 posts

These are great, and I did expect she would look absurd, but for me she highlights the absurdity of modern life. All I can smell is the poisonous fumes at the gas pump. I think had the corset been as tight as they were worn and her manners as expected of women in the 18th C, present day may not not have looked so rediculous. Wonderful.

Lorsagne de Sade
@lorsagne-de-sade
9 years ago
313 posts

At the risk of violating all standards and rules of "gender equality" -- WOMEN SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PUMP THEIR OWN GAS.

One of the losses of modern life: filling station attendants who would wash your windshield, check the oil and tire pressure, fill 'er up and give a dog cookie to the pooch in the back seat.