Living History
Donate to LHVW

Looking for a recommendation.

beckkafredericks
@beckkafredericks
4 years ago
4 posts

I am looking for books that give an example of day to day life of the 18th century, both upper and lower class France, Italy, England area would be nice, but open to more areas.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
4 years ago
1,889 posts

I'm tough enough to risk some ridicule by suggesting the following historical fiction :)

Angelique (novel series) by Anne and Serge Golon 

"The eponymous protagonist is a 17th-century woman born into the provincial aristocracy in the west of France."

Definitely the wrong century but the series gives you a good feel for life in France, including the social classes, which don't change all that much in the next 100 years.

The books have been out of print for a while now but you may be able to find a pdf or e-copy online.  I just checked the amazon prices and apparently I'm sitting on a little gold mine with my collection.

Outlander (novel series) by Diana Galbadon

Everyone here has problem heard of Outlander but just thought it was worth a mention especially since it is the right century.

Good luck in your search!

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 21 Aug 2020 07:42:24AM
beckkafredericks
@beckkafredericks
4 years ago
4 posts

I'm not against historical fiction as long as it's accurate. 

Abbondio Rezzonico
@abbondio-rezzonico
4 years ago
39 posts

You'll have a tough time finding books that are that specifically general; I've never found one that met my needs. However, there's a ton of niche subjects that link in with other stuff. I usually advise to start reading books that have selections of personal documents like letters; they give you the best unmodified insight. As a historian I have a library of dry old niche stuff. However, I have always enjoyed the books of Simon Schama, he haswritten quite a few books that are known to be accessible for all.

Addition: As I was answering Tat's topic on service, I reminded myself about a book of an old Dutch professor. It is also focused on the 17th century, but Tat is most right when she states that life int he 17th and 18th centuries is in most parts quite comparable in daily life. The big changes to this would occur with the Industrialization.
It likely cannot be found anymore in regular stores, but perhaps it's a find second-hand.
A.Th. van Deursen, Mensen van klein vermogen: Het kopergeld van de Gouden Eeuw , Amsterdam: Bert Bakker, 1991 ( ISBN   9035110110 ). Translated into English:  Plain lives in the Golden Age. Popular culture, religion and society in seventeenth-century Holland .  Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1991.

--
Abbondio Rezzonico
Banker, Merchant & Vintner
@ Rocca Sorrentina

updated by @abbondio-rezzonico: 22 Aug 2020 02:53:00AM
Dutch
@dutch
4 years ago
1 posts

You may also wish to check out a youtube channel from a historical re-creator in the UK. They make clothing (womens AND mens) from various historical timelines. Thier channel is 'Prior Attire'.

https://www.youtube.com/user/priorattire