Living History
Donate to LHVW

Work in Progress

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,895 posts

Hello Everyone

As you can see, I finally "bit the bullet" and started updating the site.

It was a loooong time coming (delayed by the wait to migrate to Ning 3.0 which never materialized) so there's a lot to do.

On the bright side: We didn't lose any data!! Woohoo!!

On the not so bright side: Any customization done on individual "My Page(s)' seems to have been lost. Sorry about that folks, I had no idea that was going to happen. You might want to wait a bit before you customize again until things have stabilized.

I'll continue making updates and tweaking which is complicated by the fact that it looks differentdepending on the browser(IEor Chrome - I haven't tried any others) ... sigh ...

In the meantime remember to:

3369_discussions.png

Thanks!!

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 06 Oct 2016 06:49:59AM
Jean-Matisse
@jean-matisse
9 years ago
30 posts

what was wrong with the old site?

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,895 posts

It was old - really, really, old. It was also squashed into three columns which is so 2010 ;)

As I've mentioned, I didn't update it because I thought we would be migrating to a new Ning 3.0 site but after waiting for two years it was more than time for an upgrade.

The software behind the formatting was a major version behind and I had to do a lot of cheating with CSS code to get anything done. I hate CSS coding - lol.

Otherwise, the content is the same but hopefully presented in a more palatable fashion.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Leopoldina
@leopoldina
9 years ago
280 posts

The new design looks so much clearer! There is in, my opinion, some problem with the lack of hierarchy between the columns, and bigger spaces between each column could look visually better maybe. I don't know which colors could look better, but I find the two main colors chosen makes the website look somewhat dated.

And btw its great no data was lost!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,895 posts

We're stuck with the spacing between columns unless I go and tackle the CSS (see above - I hate CSS coding ;) )

Not quite sure what you mean about lack of hierarchy, perhaps the order of the different modules? I'm still playing with that and it's easy to move them around.

The colours are based on those in the bannerwhich comes from "Le Th l'anglaise servi dans le salon des Quatre-Glaces au palais du Temple Paris en 1764" by Michel Barthlemy Ollivier (1712-1784).

No wonder they look dated!!! :))

I'm still working on the text colours, fonts etc. but I think I'll stick with the Masthead & Background colours for now (unless I wake up tomorrow morning and really hate it).

We'll see how it goes!

--
Quecay
@quecay
9 years ago
123 posts

Ufff !! lots of work to you, Tatiana. Thanks!!

Love de idea the two colours thanthe banner,the result is harmonious and very clear.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,895 posts

Thanks, Quecay!

It's always a bit of a shock when a site changes (especially after remainingalmost the same for six years) but it's also nice to have something fresh.

Soon the "newness" will wear off and we won't even remember what the old site looked like. I took a few pictures just so I could!

--