Living History
Donate to LHVW

Registration Changes

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,905 posts

Hello Everyone

In the past week a new pattern of registration requests has emerged. This pattern includes (but is not limited to)numerous accounts using brand new SL avatars as their reference.

Because of the number of requests, I don't believe that this patterncan be accounted for by random individuals happening to register all in the same time period. My guess is that one individual is creating multiple requests.

I am concerned about this shift in registration patterns as I cannot think ofany reason an individual would need upwards of 8 separate accounts here. I really don't want the site filled with sockpuppets or junk accounts.

I have suspended a number of accounts that had already been registered or were pending registration.Suspension will be lifted if the request turns out to be vaild. I have also sent out messages requesting further information as I really want tounderstand what is going on. So far I'm still in the dark. If anyone knows what's up we can discuss it here or you can contact me privately.

As a result of this, I will be requesting further information for pending registration requests where the SL avatars are new. In particular, I will want toknow the Main SL avatar behind the request.

Thanks for your help & understanding :))

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 16 Oct 2016 09:55:31AM
Skye Varriale
@skye-varriale
13 years ago
96 posts
I think this is an excellent move. Frankly, I don't like all the secret avis in SL ingeneral but here we certainly don't want to abuse the site with junk avis that do nothing but troll or pump up groups. I am all for asking new avatars who register herewho the main avatar is.
Skye Varriale
@skye-varriale
13 years ago
96 posts
I think that's fine. We are discussing flooding the site with junk Avatars that really have no purpose except to cause problems or make groups appear popular with pumped up numbers.
Maria Carolina von Habsburg
@maria-carolina-von-habsburg
13 years ago
17 posts

I think this is an excellent idea. I've noticed a lot of the new members joining this site are people who have created duplicate roles of existing members as well as duplicate court groups. I know creating duplicate roles and court groups isn't against the rules per se, but it is frowned upon and I cannot help thinking these new people and groups were created for no other purpose than to cause drama and conflict with others.

This has always been a friendly site where people from all the courts can come and share with others, announce events, advertise products and make friends. Conflict and drama have no place here and I really hope these new people and their groups keep this in mind.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,905 posts

From Wikipedia: sockpuppets

The key difference between a sockpuppet and a regular pseudonym (sometimes termed an "alt" which is short for alternate, as in alternate identity) is the pretense that the puppet is a third party who is not affiliated with the puppeteer or acting under their control for their benefit.

I believe that there is a huge difference between someone using a few alts (one for business and one for regular roleplay) as you are doing, Adlaide, and creating 8 different accounts pretending they are all different people. It's that type of practice that I'm concerned about.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Anne, Comtesse de Noailles
@anne-comtesse-de-noailles
13 years ago
263 posts

This is an excellent idea. Alts have always been of some concern. We ask some of our members to create alts in case their name conflicts with the name of their role (there are many bad examples...sexybitch1982 resident surely being the worst) so they conform to the historical role they apply for. However, this opportunity is only given to experienced members of sl or this community. The role also has to be HISTORICAL in contrast to fictional.

I personally only stick to one account though I play a historical character and suggest everyone I know to do the same. it only causes confusion in small places like the hisotircal community when using a number of multiple accounts. In most cases new accounts are created once someone experiences squarrels in world with other residents or even entire communities. We do not get a second chance in reality either! If you want to hide just stick to your RL.

However, as you stated above there is still a difference between those puppets that leave me really clueless. I can only imagine who could be behind this ... clearly it must be someone who wants to cause problems again :) Have we not all grown old enough yet? ;-)

Henri Louis Marie de Rohan
@henri-louis-marie-de-rohan
13 years ago
192 posts

I know it was difficult at the time MJ, but I am so glad you changed from sexybitch1982.

Although, as you shouted at me, I KNOW it is the perfect summary of everything to do with you.

I have an alt for shoe-fitting on a female avatar, checking temp rezzing etc - but she's terribly neglected. I just can't be bothered logging into lots of different account. It's tiresome.

I wholeheartedly agree with vetting people joining the Ning. This is quite a close-knit community, and hence very strong (I feel) - and it would be lovely to keep it that way.

Contessa Elena Marina Foscari
@contessa-elena-marina-foscari
13 years ago
49 posts

Thank youTatiana for opening this up fordiscussion.

just to add that amongst all the secret accounts, which may or may not have negative agendas, there also the idiots, like myself, whowith theintention of better telling of a story, thought they would open a new account. Promptly forgot the password, and cannot delete the account because it night delete theoriginalaccount, as both are on the same email, and cannot get a new password as it keeps being sent to the older account. Hands up fellow idiots ?

Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
13 years ago
471 posts

I agree the Ning is for discussion and information about events,and sharing videos and pics.

If people want to rp and be their characters they can do it inworld.Frankly I find it very confusing there too what with all the diffrent names people take on.But that is just my opinion

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,905 posts
LOL Contessa :)) Those danged passwords, it happens quite often so don't feel bad.

--
Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
13 years ago
264 posts

Without getting into who-all and whatever, it's pretty simple, if you have an alt - and there are good reasons for needing one de temps a temps - then when you go to register a new account here ... just send a little note along to Tat saying, "Hey, btw, Lady Soandso, who just applied? That's my avi for xyz." I've done that a couple of times and it's been ... mostly painless. --Ha! it's been entirely painless!! Super-easy, sets Tat at ease, and she can get you processed right along.

Forgetting the password, that's a different problem entirely. And the really really REAL problem: Shelling out the extra L$$$ for the extra accounts (alts need new gowns too, you know!!) ...

King Frederick II Hohenzollern
@king-frederick-ii-hohenzollern
13 years ago
1 posts

oh wordenfull idea, Lady Tatiana, but now is verylate , *** Edited by Tatiana *** i think you need considere too the time of creationof each avatar, who is him, where he join, what he will do in ning.

Ning is a excellent and our official web, but please you need take control over who will open a account here.

i can see you had made justice but still there are two accounts phantom. *** Edited by Tatiana ***

*** This post has been Edited to remove mention of specific individuals.Tatiana***