Living History
Donate to LHVW

Sharing Photos on this Site - Limitations

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
14 years ago
1,903 posts

Hello Everyone

One of the best things about this site is all the wonderful photos that people contribute. I know that I always look forward to seeing what's going on in all the Royal Courts :)

Unfortunately, there is a Ning limitation that only thelast 100 photos uploaded are shown on the first page where they are most likely to be seen by all the members.

Given this limitation, Iamaskingeach memberto limit uploads to 10 or 12 pictures at the most in the top 100. This would allow every event and/or every individual to have their "time in the sun" on the first page before they are bumped off by fresh material.

If you have more than a dozen pictures of the same theme or event, I would encourage you to takethose photosand make a video with them that youcan posthere. This is a wonderful way to showcaseyour collection of pictures without limitations.

Advertisements includingpictures of products with product names, prices etc. should be placed in a Discussion in the Marketplace Category not in the photo section.

Thanks!

Tatiana

Update February 17, 2010 - I have reluctantly turned on management controls so that photos now have to be approved before they appear. Believe me, I really don't want the extra work involved in this but I do want to be able to showcase as many people as possible on the first page.For any set of photoslarger than 12, I willbe deleting the entire set & asking you to resubmita fewfavourites.For people that already have 12 pictures in the top 100, I will be doing the same thing.

Update August 13, 2011 - see Was there a Change to the number for Uploads of Pictures?

The ability to limit the number of pictures uploaded each day is a recent addition to the Ning functionality. Right now, I have set the number of pictures per day to 4 andit is monitored automatically by the Ning software.

The rule that you can only have 12 pictures in the top 100 has been around for quite a while and is not automated. This means that for each photo submission, I have to manually count the number of photos already in the top 100 for the individual uploading the pics. As you can imagine, this is a tedious job especially when I have to reject the photos and contact people that have exceeded the limit.

Now that we can automatically restrict the number of photos uploaded per day, I am considering removingthe limitation of 12 in the top 100. With this in mind, I have been trying out the limit of 4 per day to see how it works. So far so good.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 06 Oct 2016 06:49:59AM
Skye Varriale
@skye-varriale
14 years ago
96 posts
I agree, I think that 12 is a good amount to convey the essence of an event and that way everyone gets to see what's going on. Window's movie maker is easy to use and you can add music to your videos you make. It's fun and quick!
Prince de Craon
@charles-juste-prince-de-beauveau-et-craon
14 years ago
47 posts
Totally agree!!! See fifty screens of the same event can be heavy. In the variety is the taste. :)))
Anne, Comtesse de Noailles
@anne-comtesse-de-noailles
14 years ago
263 posts
really good idea. some lovely photos are never acknowledged due to this annoying spam of photos!maybe you should add it as a rule?Kind regardsDuchesse de Rochefort
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
14 years ago
1,903 posts
Just for clarification, I have never considered any of the photo contributions that the site has received to be spam. I think it's great that people want to participate & share their experiences through photos and I don't want to discourage that in the least. Bulk upload is so easy that it probably doesn't even cross people's minds about the top 100 limit on the main page.As the site administrator I'm always mindful of keeping a "global" perspective which is the why I think a maximum of 12 photos per individual/event in the top 100 is a reasonable limit that is fair to everyone here and will encourage participation from all the courts.As has already been mentioned, there are other options such as creating videos, pointing to slideshows or providing links to court specific sites. People here are very creative and I am counting on them to find & use viable options in the spirit of community cooperation :))

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
14 years ago
263 posts
I just think that mass uploads have a similar effect as spam mails. It is annoying for me to see that some lovely pictures disappear under the masses of other uploads
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
14 years ago
1,903 posts
February 21, 2010 - Updated to restrict Advertisements in the Photo Section. Please see the Original Post for details.

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
14 years ago
1,903 posts
Bumping this up as a reminder and for all the new members.Thanks!

--
14 years ago
263 posts
very good idea lol.. seems like some OLDER members have forgotten this rule too ;)
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
14 years ago
1,903 posts
Just a quick reminder of photo restrictions.As an individual you can help by keeping track of the number of pictures you have in the top 100. That way I won't have to keep counting them. Thanks!

--
14 years ago
263 posts
indeed. i agree with anu. one should really STICK to this rule otherwise it gets annoying for others. i have recently noticed some not following it.
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
14 years ago
1,903 posts
Giving this a bump as a reminder.Please keep track of your own pictures in the top 100.For those people that I have already received one message from me, I'm just going to delete without further messages. If your pictures don't get approved you know why.Thanks!

--
Ephe Luik
@ephe-luik
13 years ago
169 posts
I also agree, even 12 is to much :)
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,903 posts

It's been a while, so I'm bumping this :)

--