Living History
Donate to LHVW

How Successful People Handle Toxic People

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,900 posts

An excellent article with lots of practical advice.

Thought I would share it here as many of us can probably benefit from its wisdom.

How Successful People Handle Toxic People

Toxic people defy logic. Some are blissfully unaware of the negative impact that they have on those around them, and others seem to derive satisfaction from creating chaos and pushing other peoples buttons. Either way, they create unnecessary complexity, strife, and worst of all stress.

Studies have long shown that stress can have a lasting, negative impact on the brain. Exposure to even a few days of stress compromises the effectiveness of neurons in the hippocampusan important brain area responsible for reasoning and memory. Weeks of stress cause reversible damage to neuronal dendrites (the small arms that brain cells use to communicate with each other), and months of stress can permanently destroy neurons. Stress is a formidable threat to your successwhen stress gets out of control, your brain and your performance suffer.

[snip]

While Ive run across numerous effective strategies that successful people employ when dealing with toxic people, what follows are twelve of the best. To deal with toxic people effectively, you need an approach that enables you, across the board, to control what you can and eliminate what you cant. The important thing to remember is that you are in control of far more than you realize.

continued ...

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 06 Jan 2017 01:56:47PM
Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
9 years ago
358 posts

Excellent article, thank you for sharing this! :)

Lorsagne de Sade
@lorsagne-de-sade
9 years ago
313 posts

Good article with good advice!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,900 posts

I'm glad you enjoyed it, ladies!

This is my favourite part: The important thing to remember is that you are in control of far more than you realize.

Wish someone had told me that when I was about 10 years old so I didn't have to figure it out the hard way :)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Lorsagne de Sade
@lorsagne-de-sade
9 years ago
313 posts

I think we all have to figure it out the hard way. The best piece of advice I took away from reading the article was the reminder that successful people "Wont LetAnyoneLimit Their Joy".I had to get to be 40 before I got that one through my thick head.

Craутon T. Cavιℓℓ
@celestin-gouffier-de-bonnivet
9 years ago
46 posts

That's a great article, being in sl you meet quie a few toxic people, I learned a few new things with this article. Great post !

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,900 posts

Yes, that caught my eye also. As with you, it took me a long time to learn.

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,900 posts

Glad you liked it!

The "good" thing about dealing with toxic people in SL is that it's probably easier to get away from them than it can be in RL. Having toxic people in your RL workplace, for example, really poses challenges. Too bad there's not a RL mute button ;)

--
Craутon T. Cavιℓℓ
@celestin-gouffier-de-bonnivet
9 years ago
46 posts

yeah true .... sometimes a mute button in rl would be wonderful ... but what I would like best in instant teleportation ;-)

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,900 posts

Definitely! That and being able to fly :))

--