Queen's Hamlet
Donate to LHVW

Baking for the First Time

Lady Hartfield
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
264 posts

When you first put on your G&S HUD, it will not have any energy in it. Yet you must have energy to be able to tend the crops. How to get going? Lets go into the Kitchen first. Its right by the Office.

711_discussions.jpg?width=600

First of all, look to your right once inside the door. There is a collection of cookbooks on the wall right next to the door; if you click on it, it will give you a menu of ingredients. Each button can be clicked to give you a NC for a different ingredient; the NC will list all the recipes which include that ingredient. For this dish, all we need is Fish, so you will scroll through the menu, find that button, and click it. Once youve accepted the NC, scroll down it until you find Grilled Fish. The NC tells you that this will give you 21 EP (energy points) and requires 1 Fish. You can collapse the NC but until youve successfully completed the dish I recommend keeping it visible in the viewer so you can refer to it if you need to.

712_discussions.jpg?width=600

Now, where to get a fish? You may have received fish in your welcome pack; there is also a barrel of fish in the corner of the Kitchen, where they are available for 2 coins. If you look at your HUD, you have 15 coins, so more than enough to buy 1 fish to get you started! Stand close to the barrel and click on it. You will get a menu asking if you want to buy or cancel. Click buy; the barrel will take 2 of your coins and deliver one fish into your inventory. Now to the oven!

713_discussions.jpg?width=600

G&S calls the oven (or more properly the stove) a Magic Kitchen. As in the picture shown, you want to rez your fish pretty close to the, um, oven. Usually it will find your ingredient but if it doesnt, just click the oven and then click the Search button. Now, later on when we are making multi-ingredient recipes, it will be very important to rez items and add them in a particular order, but right now we dont have to worry about (happily). Click the button "Fish". Once the fish is shown within the blue menu, click the COOK button. Some pans will appear on the cooktop and the oven will tell you that it is cooking. When it is done, the pans disappear and a message will appear over the cooktop telling you to click the oven before your food burns. Click it and it will send the completed food to your inventory. Note: The name of the food item will be in Spanish first, then English. Spanish is the language in which the system was developed but if you dont have any Spanish, usually an English translation is right there.

714_discussions.jpg?width=600

Time to eat! Rez the Grilled Fish, then click on it. 21 energy points will be added to your energy meter. Now you are energized and ready to do chores!

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 20 Oct 2016 09:36:35AM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,900 posts

Rather a devious design, isn't it ;)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

I *just* had that happen to me a couple of hours ago as well. As with casting while fishing, it seems that when you are executing an action, you need to keep your attention on the action or you may face negative consequences (such as losing a fish from the hook or to the fire!). Thanks for the warning.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,900 posts

Thanks for the warning.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Serenek Timeless
@serenek-timeless
8 years ago
33 posts

Chefs beware - if you let your food burn on the stove because you are too busy IMing to notice when the stove tells you it is done, your fish disappears and you get nothing.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,900 posts

Too funny!

--
Claire-Sophie de Rocoulle
@claire-sophie-de-rocoulle
8 years ago
112 posts

Google says Algo translates to Something so you get something called Something :D

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,900 posts

On the bright side, if you do make a mistake in your selection order you still receive something called "Algo" that gives you 3 energy points. Not great but better than nothing :)

--
Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

You're welcome! I hope you're having as much fun as I am!

Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

Yes, I am looking forward to trying other things, just a tad nervous about rezzing things in the correct order! But I am sure it will go alright ... mostly. ;)

Claire-Sophie de Rocoulle
@claire-sophie-de-rocoulle
8 years ago
112 posts

Thanks! Very nice and just when I was thinking getting started was like rocket science too.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,900 posts

Many thanks for this, Elisabeth!

Once we've mastered the grilled fish, I think we will all be looking forward to trying out more complicated recipes :)

--