Donate to LHVW

Historical RP: What's your daily diet?

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,889 posts

TatianaDokuchic-QH Market 190404.png

Food ... it's a complex subject.

I thought it would be fun to take a look at the daily diets of Historical RPers and the thinking behind their consumption (or lack of it).  So tell me, what do you eat?  Are you eating for energy, pleasure, or both?  Do you have a strategy behind your daily menu?  How does your daily bread fit in with your RP background?  Do you toil to produce splendid meals for others while eating cheese at home?  So many questions!

I've always been curious about the RP diets of others so please share your food secrets :)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
5 years ago
359 posts

Well - mostly apples on the run for me, thanks to the fruit trees my lord of Rochefort has been sprinking around the Antiquity sims. However, we are integrating prepared banquets into the social schedule, influenced by historical cookbooks and perhaps by Patrick O'Brian (I believe Beatrix Muircastle will shortly achieve a creditable Spotted Dick.)

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
5 years ago
359 posts

Apropos of Beatrix's steam pudding, we have found the matter of baking powder's inconvenient predecessors quite interesting!

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,889 posts

Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi:

Well - mostly apples on the run for me, thanks to the fruit trees my lord of Rochefort has been sprinking around the Antiquity sims. <<snip>>

It was your mention of the apples that inspired this thread, Tiamat!  The integrated banquets sound wonderful, especially with the historical slant.  You'll have to tell me how the "Spotted Dick" turns out :)

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Abbondio Rezzonico
@abbondio-rezzonico
5 years ago
39 posts

When working in the vineyard energy goes down fast and results really are much better when working on 80%+ levels. So then it's Fish, more fish, and tea. I'm a convenience eater when it comes to the 'need' of energy.

However, we do use the more luxurious foods as cakes and seafood when it comes to hosting. Not long ago I had a friend over to catch-up. I made sure we had a good table at the foot of the vineyard with my premier pinot grigio and prosecco, paired with some fine seafood. On Sorrentina I try to regularly bring something to coffee. And have always been a fan of the banquet tables assembled by Madame Ragueneau, who has a talent to make grand displays. Her last triomphs were the stall at Magritte's christmas market, and the banquet tables for Carnevale, which were a real sight to see.

--
Abbondio Rezzonico
Banker, Merchant & Vintner
@ Rocca Sorrentina
Abbondio Rezzonico
@abbondio-rezzonico
5 years ago
39 posts

RP foods are still far from ideal, but i see improvements. Compared to the old days it is now in more realistic proportions and better looking (no bright!). I do have issues with foods and drinks that talk to you, especially when they go 'nam nam' *rolls eyes*. The other and bigger flaw in G&S foods remains the fact that it's mostly touch-and-poof dishes, which I have always found rather disappointing. I have more sympathy and use for the portioned dishes.

--
Abbondio Rezzonico
Banker, Merchant & Vintner
@ Rocca Sorrentina
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,889 posts

TatianaDokuchicGoats  Dairy_001.png

In a word: CHEESE

For me it's the perfect G&S food.  Being the keeper of many goats I have an abundance of milk which I collect on a regular basis and place in storage.  This provides a constant supply for my four cheese tables. I really like the arrangement (shown above) as it saves me from placing jars out each time I milk.  I also appreciate not taking any additional time in food preparation

I expend a fair bit of energy every day just caring for crops and I like to keep my energy level above 80 (it seems to work the best for caring).  Cheese with an EP of 18 does this nicely.

For tasks that require more energy, think carpentry, smithing etc., I usually consume goat chops with a 30EP each.  Again, I have an abundance of goat meat and this is a good way to help use it up.

My final staple is grilled fish which I am constantly cooking as I am fishing.

Ironically I am a master chef/baker but all that fancy food is sold at market.  As I am constantly circulating coins for various QH goods I don't feel guilty about keeping my personal food consumption cost neutral.

I really appreciate the sumptuous banquets and displays that are the forte of Una, Abbondio, and Madame Ragueneau, among others.  Not only are they are feasts for the eyes but they help to promote the rp itself.

I couldn't agree more with Abbondio's comment about food that talks.  Make it stop! :)

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,889 posts

Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi:

Well - mostly apples on the run for me, thanks to the fruit trees my lord of Rochefort has been sprinking around the Antiquity sims. 

It just dawned on me why your mention of apples brought Anne Boleyn so strongly to mind.  Not only was it her reported craving for them but her brother was George Boleyn, 2nd Viscount Rochford :)

--
Una Lunaqat
@una-lunaqat
5 years ago
58 posts

My diet too tends to be what's most at hand and easy to fix. I have a lot of rice in storage, chicken, and of course there is an abundance of verr meat for offer.  I eat verr skewers, and chicken with rice a lot. These things are also easy to fix while at the carpentry table.   I also often use potatoes and tomatoes in dishes.  I enjoy cooking the fancier foods, and save some for decoration, and for hosting/event buffet tables (please folks, eat the foods) or for sale (please folks, eat the foods) if I know someone wants it.  It does take some of the fun out of fixing the fancier things when they don't get used so I stick with the staples a lot.

--
Una (Unalunaqat Resident)
Madame D'Qat
Ferme sur Mer (Sea View Farm), Queen's Hamlet
Villa Toscana,LL, Rocca Sorrentina
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
5 years ago
1,889 posts

Una Lunaqat:

I enjoy cooking the fancier foods, and save some for decoration, and for hosting/event buffet tables (please folks, eat the foods) or for sale (please folks, eat the foods) if I know someone wants it. 

And a lovely job you do of those buffet tables, Una!  I've been know to wear a dress with large pockets so that I can hide all the delicacies I'm saving for later :)

--
Una Lunaqat
@una-lunaqat
5 years ago
58 posts

Thank you Duchess.  (laughs)  Bring one of your pretty picnic baskets...

--
Una (Unalunaqat Resident)
Madame D'Qat
Ferme sur Mer (Sea View Farm), Queen's Hamlet
Villa Toscana,LL, Rocca Sorrentina
Bessie Hull
@satoharu-nakamura
5 years ago
41 posts

It's almost always chowder for me.  Fish is so plentiful and cheap!

If I'm feeling fancy, fish with stewed tomatoes. That's when I have 15 tomatoes from a large harvest and don't feel like making sauce for pizza.