Market
Donate to LHVW

TTR Kitchen Garden:My Adventures in Virtual Gardening

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,905 posts

Queen's House Ornamental Kitchen Garden in Second Life

It seems that I've been captivated by the Potager or Ornamental Kitchen Garden for a very long time now. Though I come from a long line of gardeners,I wasfirst introduction to the magicalstructure ofthe potager through the BBC television series The Ornamental Kitchen Garden hosted by Geoff Hamilton. The mix of fruits, vegetables, flowers & herbs arranged in symmetrical garden beds stuck me as such a practical & exceptional work of art that I've been in love with ever since.

For awhile I was content using potager techniques in my own backyard until one fateful day back in January 2008 when I goggled "Versailles Kitchen" and found Louis XIV's "King's Kitchen Garden" akathe " Potager du Roi ". As with somany things associated with Versailles it was mind blowing!

Plan du Jardin Potager du Roy, a Versailles

And so I did that only thing that was practical given my real life circumstances, I turned to the virtual world to satisfy my cravings for a full blown "Sun King" potager. My first attempt was with TheSims2 where I created Versailles-King's Kitchen Garden for a ModTheSims contest (which I'm delighted to say I actually won). I had a grand time both building & playing that lot and I still drop by TheSims2 from time to time to play it.

Versailles-Kitchen Garden built in TheSims2

On an amusing side note, if you use Google Images to search for thisimage you get some interesting results . It seems that my little virtual garden is now being used to illustratearticles forreallife potagers :)

When I moved from TheSims2 to Second Life in February 2008 I had dreams of creatingmorebeautiful potagers and was disappointed to find that it wasn't actually that easy or practical. Prim costs, as Land Impact(LI) was called back then, alone kept me from realizing a garden that I could actually afford to keep. When each plant or flower has a LI=4 you really have to ration their use. The addition of1 prim plant sculpts helped but it was the introduction of Mesh to Second Life that really got me back into the virtual garden.

Queen's House Ornamental Kitchen Garden-Cabbage & Rose

The centrepiece of this new potager, Cabbage & Rose, contains four quadrants surrounding a lively little fountain. Because I can never decide on just one rose colour, a colour change menu lets you select between Dark Pink, Soft Pink & Yellow. The ornamental cabbages also come in four variations.

Queen's House Ornamental Kitchen Garden-Lavender & Rose Row

I've createda variety ofrow &square gardens as part of the collection, many of them with their own variety menus. All parts are mod/copy so that you can rearrange and make changes to your heart's content. With the exception of the fountain,all components are mesh and every piece has been optimized to beLI conscious.

Queen's House Ornamental Kitchen Garden-Strawberry & Blueberry

I've reused the same mesh models throughout the garden as well asa number of textures, providingconsistent visual impact while keeping rendering costs as low as possible.

Queen's House Ornamental Kitchen Garden-Tomato & Lettuce

After all these years, I'm so glad that my potager is finally shaping up in Second Life & I'm sure I'll be "gardening" for quite some time to come!

I'm also delighted to be able to have this first set of seven components ready for sale.

You can drop by The Queen's House inworld to walk along the paths or rest new the fountain or see the complete Kitchen Garden collection on the Second Life Marketplace.

Happy Gardening!!

Tatiana

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 06 Oct 2016 06:19:13PM
Skye Varriale
@skye-varriale
11 years ago
96 posts

This is amazingly lovely Tat!

Lady Burnstein
@lady-burnstein
11 years ago
225 posts

Excellent work dear Taty...:))

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

That looks Wonderful.

Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
11 years ago
264 posts

Gosh, Tat, this is just amazing ... and gorgeous. So exciting!! The picture of the garden looks more "real" than ever!

Nora Clementine Fernsby
@nora-clementine-fernsby
11 years ago
63 posts

Ah, the miracle of mesh. Lovely Garden!!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,905 posts

Many thanks to everyone for their kind words and encouragement (enabling?) or my virtual gardening obsession :))

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,905 posts

Thanks, Skye! As we've discussed over the years it's all in getting the right mix of compost :))

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,905 posts

Thanks, Elisabeth!

On building breaks I keep re-reading Marie Antoinette & the Last Garden at Versailles so I'm inspired not only by MA but Louis XIV & Louis XV :))

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,905 posts

Yes, mesh is magical! It's reducing LI costs like crazy which goes a long way towards making a bountiful garden. My only mesh "regret" is that there's so much to learn and so little time. I'm too impatient and want to know it all NOW!! lol

--
Candace Ducatillon
@candace-ducatillon
11 years ago
204 posts

I came by for a visit last evening, and it was difficult to leave Tatiana. Your labour of love is thriving again ... thank you for the education, the practicality, and the beauty.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,905 posts

Merci beaucoup, Candace. I'm so glad that you could visit & enjoy the garden :)

--
Belladonna Ohare
@belladonna-ohare
11 years ago
52 posts

This is so beautiful and relaxing. I would love to have something like this (on a smaller scale) in my rl.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,905 posts

Oh I know Belladonna!!

One of the best things about a potager is that it does scale down very nicely. Check out The Ornamental Kitchen Garden by Geoff Hamilton (either the book or the DVDs) which gives you all kinds of inspiration for your own home garden. For example, you can use many different materials for creating the beds, besides the traditionalclipped boxwood hedges. I think it's a trend that's coming around again. After all who wouldn't love mixing in beautiful flowers with their veggies :))

--