Market
Donate to LHVW

"Brown Bess" Musket sale and fundraiser

Aldo Stern
@aldo-stern
11 years ago
157 posts

2684_discussions.jpg?width=750

For a limited time, individuals who wish to own the most accurately designed and scripted representation of an 18th century flintlock military musket to be found in Second Life may visit the orientation room on the entry/exhibit platform at Rocca Sorrentina to purchase a copy the long-awaited Kiergarten/Osterham version of the Brown Bess.

The musket itself was made by master SL gun builder Jasper Kiergarten with an authentic look and beautiful detailing. It has been scripted by Ernst Ostherham with a HUD that permits the user to carry the weapon either "at the trail" or casually over the shoulder; when ready to fire, the user is posed at the ready with the musket in the position proscribed by the British 18th century manual of arms (and used by many other armies as well); firing may be done from standing, knelling or prone position; and the reloading process includes all the actual steps needed to load a military flintlock including tearing the cartridge with you teeth, priming the pan, loading the powder and ball, withdrawing the ramrod, ramming down the powder and ball, replacing the ramrod, and cocking the weapon. On firing, flash happens in both the pan and the muzzle. The musket may be carried slung and have the bayonet either fixed or unfixed. It is also suitable for use with drill and parade HUDs.

2685_discussions.jpg?width=750

Price for this remarkable weapon is 595 Lindens, and during this fundraising period, a significant portion of the income from sales will be donated to the Missouri Humanities Council as thanks for the Council's support of Rocca Sorrentina, which would not have been preserved and maintained with their assistance.

Feel free to ask a member of the Guardia di Rocca Sorrentina for a demonstration.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Westphalia/101/175/2801/

updated by @aldo-stern: 23 Oct 2016 12:37:11AM
Aldo Stern
@aldo-stern
11 years ago
157 posts

ah, for some reason, Mercury, the idea of you "melting" at the sight of one of these "ladies" makes me think of the old 18th century German soldiers song that includes something to the effect that the officers get to sleep with the pretty girls, but the common soldat has no one to cuddle up with at night except his musket.

Speaking of soldiers and their muskets, you can see from the second picture that as soon as these were ready last night, the nucleus of the Guardia unit was trying them out in drill. Fun stuff.

Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
11 years ago
252 posts

Looks like a wonderful weapon and will be great to add to my collection. It is a great cause, and I will be encouraging everyone I know to support Rocca. Over the past few years, Antiquity has worked with the Owners and Residents of Rocca, and have found them to be, honest, hardworking and truly a delight. On a personal level, Professore Aldo and Signora Sera have been lovely to work with and dependable. A trait not found often. I wish you much success, and hope Rocca continues to provide everyone with history, education and quality rp areas.

--
His Royal Highness Jacon Cortes de Bexar Prince of Antiquity, Duke of Cumberland, Duque de Bexar, Duc de la Valliere, Marchese di MSB
Aldo Stern
@aldo-stern
11 years ago
157 posts

milie Grazie, Altezza. We appreciate the kind words and the expression of support. I think you will enjoy the musket.

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

I will need to look to buy one. BTW, 2nd Model or 3rd Model?

Aldo Stern
@aldo-stern
11 years ago
157 posts

Signor Curtis, this is the Short Land Pattern (also known as 2nd Model) of 1768 which was the standard musket until 1797 when the 3rd or "India" pattern comes into general usage. Though of course, these older guns probably continued in use in the Napoleonic wars to some extent.

Lorsagne de Sade
@lorsagne-de-sade
11 years ago
313 posts

It is a splendid weapon, indeed. In the dark days to come we shall be glad to have one at our side.

Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
11 years ago
471 posts

I havea copy"Brown Bess"and its very well made and has some pretty good animations :)

Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
11 years ago
359 posts

I hope the limited time will not expire before the end of next week, when I will again be in a position to log into SL with some regularity;Brown Bessstrikes me as an ideal SL Christmas gift for my RL son, who loves the historical military and all its accoutrements.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Leandro Rinaldo Malaspina
@leandro-rinaldo-malaspina
11 years ago
12 posts

Really a wonderful weapon, I saw it working and I was absolutely impressed.

Aldo Stern
@aldo-stern
11 years ago
157 posts

Tia, we will have it up for sale at least until the end of this month