Queen's Hamlet
Donate to LHVW

QH Brag About Your "Firsts" v1

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

The first time you do something is oftenquite memorable so here's a spot where we can share our QH Co-op accomplishments.

Given that we're all just starting out there should be many so go ahead and brag a bit!

October 22, 2016: This discussion proved so popular that I'm going to close this version and open a new one !

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 11 Aug 2020 03:57:44AM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

A red-letter day for sure ... I received my very first harvest of Kalana 5 ... it's now aging and I'll post pics once it's bottled!!

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Claire-Sophie de Rocoulle
@claire-sophie-de-rocoulle
8 years ago
112 posts

Did a couple of new things this week

Chopped a tree down and nearly squished a goat

Snapshot_066.jpg

Learned Carpentry 

Snapshot_068.jpg

Got into an awkward situation with a Grande Vulo when he turned out to be too cute for dinner!! 

Snapshot_082.jpg

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

You've been busy!!  

Tree felling is a tad dangerous - glad the goats made it out unharmed (same goes for the large vulo).  What are you building with your new-found carpentry skills?

--
8 years ago
112 posts

As for what I am making with my new found Carpentry skills - Behold The New Fancy Carpentry workshop! 

Also I also made the Family Table but I am not very happy with it because the colour is different from the one in the picture so it really doesn't match the other furniture and its no mod! :p

The workshop is no mod too but it fits in perfectly so I love it. Gives me a spot to relax after the goat milking and shaving ^^

Snapshot_088.jpg

Snapshot_097.jpg

Snapshot_098.jpg

Snapshot_099.jpg

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Wow!  Love that workshop - it's huge!! - bet you had to cut down a ton of trees for that ;)

--
Una Lunaqat
@una-lunaqat
8 years ago
58 posts

Oh what a tangled web we weave! Well actually, I managed my first go at the loom without any knots or tangles! I chose to make it a carpet, then found it looked nice bordered by another rug. Looking forward to trying different color combinations and frames. That was fun!

705_discussions.png?width=721

706_discussions.png?width=721

707_discussions.png?width=721

--
Una (Unalunaqat Resident)
Madame D'Qat
Ferme sur Mer (Sea View Farm), Queen's Hamlet
Villa Toscana,LL, Rocca Sorrentina
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

A very productive day indeed!! Thanks for sharing your adventures, you definitely had a lot of firsts for one day :)

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Yummm ... Custard Rolls!! Well worth studying for, Una :)

--
8 years ago
112 posts

Started mining today after avoiding anything to do with smithing so far..

701_discussions.png?width=542

After a hard days mining thought I stop by the Butchery to get some blood to go with the sweat so far..

702_discussions.png?width=542

Result was some new cooking ingredients. Thank you Arabella wherever you are now.

703_discussions.png?width=542

After dragging home all that iron ore. Decided to go back and try the foundry

704_discussions.png?width=542

Ended up with 129 pieces but was saved from throwing out 9 pieces by a basket from Tat.

Overall a very nice day of trying new things.

Una Lunaqat
@una-lunaqat
8 years ago
58 posts

My first venture into the mysteries of the secret recipes...

Studied at Stangbo's desk...

699_discussions.png

Then baked my first custard roll. Plum tuckered out ....

700_discussions.png?width=721

--
Madame D'Qat
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Arabella was our very first purebred. Sad she's gone but hope you enjoy Darla :)

--
8 years ago
112 posts

Lost Arabella today so first goat loss. But gained some new blood from the QM in exchange for a grey/white female. So first goat trade.

698_discussions.png?width=542

Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

Oooooh nice.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Nice! Something to remember Arabella by :)

--
8 years ago
112 posts

Tried the Loom today

696_discussions.png?width=542

result is an interesting new carpet.

697_discussions.png?width=542

8 years ago
112 posts

Yes.... looks like someone must have wondered off when I wasn't looking.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Apparently Delphine was keeping company with someone before Fitz showed up ;)

--
8 years ago
112 posts

Nice to see them settled into their home and Delphine is not out by her lonesome any more ^^

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Too much fun!! :)

--
Bessie Hull
@satoharu-nakamura
8 years ago
41 posts

695_discussions.png?width=721 Delphine and Fitz came from the hamlet's breeding program, but when I came to shear Delphine, I found her pregnant by a mystery ram. She is a white and white/brown crossbreed, but her calf Tetsu (means iron) is a grey crossbreed. So my first breeding pair, first time shearing, and my first time as a goat's midwife.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

At least it's not like sake which takes three days ;)

--
8 years ago
112 posts

Speaking of how long stuff takes - I was looking to try something else new and thought I try rence beer making at the G&S Co-Op Market. Here is a picture of me 30mins later still waiting for it to brew :p

694_discussions.png?width=721

Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

Oh good, wondering how long it would take.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

It is quite nice, isn't it. Very different from smithing where you're hammering all the time :)

--
8 years ago
112 posts

Finally got around to spinning up some wool. It was actually really nice sitting there until it was done - not too long or too short.

693_discussions.png?width=721

8 years ago
112 posts

My official wine stash - building is thirsty work ;)

Una Lunaqat
@una-lunaqat
8 years ago
58 posts

HAhaha no I hadn't realized they had that option. How funny. And now Chicka Dee has joined the coop. So... our next event will be the Poultry Parade?? lol

--
Madame D'Qat
Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

WOW

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Awwww ... welcome to the world, Theo :)

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Aren't they cute! Did you try having them follow you yet?

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Woohoo!! You've got quite a wine cellar started there :)

--
8 years ago
112 posts

Finally got a Grand Reserve - yey!

692_discussions.jpg?width=721

Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

Bella and Alexandre have settled into their new home and yesterday Theo joined them; he's as white as his parents. :D

691_discussions.jpg?width=721

Una Lunaqat
@una-lunaqat
8 years ago
58 posts

hmmm... so Rusty the large chicken was rare? Well meet the cousins, Dusty and Musty...
690_discussions.png?width=721

--
Madame D'Qat
Una Lunaqat
@una-lunaqat
8 years ago
58 posts

It's mesmerizing. Can't wait to get to the loom.

--
Madame D'Qat
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Looking good! Did you find it relaxing? For some reason I do :)

--
Una Lunaqat
@una-lunaqat
8 years ago
58 posts

After eating my hearty Bronze challenge meal, I gave spinning a go...

689_discussions.png

--
Madame D'Qat
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Ah yes, a flowered hat and a sickle, the perfect rence-harvesting accessories. Really, you just can't have enough rence! You go girl!

--
8 years ago
112 posts

My first rence harvest. Doing it like a lady :D

688_discussions.jpg?width=721

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

How cool is that! Welcome to the merchants' world :)

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Awwww .... so cute and our first black goat!!

--
8 years ago
112 posts

First baby goat - Benji is born.

687_discussions.jpg?width=721

Una Lunaqat
@una-lunaqat
8 years ago
58 posts

My first cart sale at the QH Marketplace!

686_discussions.png?width=721

--
Madame D'Qat
Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

Cakes are SUCH fun to make :D

8 years ago
112 posts

yum - that looks good :D

Una Lunaqat
@una-lunaqat
8 years ago
58 posts

First cake!

My chef was quite pleased to prepare something new, a delicious dessert!
685_discussions.png?width=721

--
Madame D'Qat
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

For some reason I just love how all that dust flies & the broom - go figure but I think it's cute :)

--
Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

Oh the dust! Thank heavens for the broom! :)

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

The forge is rather empowering, even if it does mean getting a tad dirty! Glad to see you're trying it out. I've been having a grand time with the carpentry though it really does get dusty :)

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Eggs are always so exciting. Opens up whole new worlds of culinary delights. I see you've made some lovely desserts already :)

--
Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

Got my (gloved) hands hot and smuts on my face while working the forge for the first time. This after hefting the pickaxe to mine iron. I fear my maid will have to scrub my dress and shift quite a bit.

684_discussions.png?width=721

Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

A "checked" tuna is one that has been weighed on the tournament scale. That's all!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Can someone tell me what a "Checked" tuna is and how it's different from a regular tuna? Inquiring Minds want to know!

--
Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

Collected my first basket of eggs (posted the picture in the Photos section, it just turned out pretty). Really excited about this and happy with my investment in a henhouse.

Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

Congrats! That's a big 'un. Everyone in the tournament group is complaining right now about distribution of prizes and there certainly seems to be a decrease in the amount of "good stuff" in the last couple of weeks ... but you still get good stuff. If you get a "9" tuna don't forget to weigh it to see if you're in the running for that tournament!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

It's huge! Good for you :))

--
8 years ago
112 posts

March 27

Got my first Tuna!!! Yepee!! Finally!! Third Tuna Tournament so about time I finally got one XD

683_discussions.jpg?width=721

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Wow! Looks great!

Did you check out the new Culinary Challenges ? You're well on your way to a bronze medal.

I too have sold my gold basket for food. The price of eggs is currently being subsidized by the Co-op (i.e. it's lower than world prices) but it's all relative when your total fortune is 15c. Some day we'll look back at our poverty, smile and say "those were good times starting out" :)

--
8 years ago
112 posts

March 19

Eating good tonight - Fried Fish, Fish Chowder, Fried Potatoes with Egg along with the classic staple ofGrilled Fish.

Finally made at least one dish without fish!!
682_discussions.jpg?width=721

PS: Had to sell my gold basket today to buy that one egg - for the price the egg seller literally has a chicken that lays gold XDXD

8 years ago
112 posts

It was wet, cold and .... pretty sure something else was in there with me too \o/

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

It really was kind of freaky, especially since it happened to both of us on the same day. By the way, how was your swim in the pond? Warm? Muddy? Inquiring minds want to know :)

--
8 years ago
112 posts

My first time too - also don't have pictures because my first reaction was to jump in the lake -_-

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

March 17 ... sun shining ... birds singing ... out collecting honey ... and then it happens ...

My First Time Being Swarmed by Bees!

681_discussions.png?width=721

Now I don't have a picture of the actual swarming because I was too busy making a run for it but here's the scene of the event.

Looks like I may have to invest in some bee-keeping equipment! ;)

--
Una Lunaqat
@una-lunaqat
8 years ago
58 posts

Yes, it bothers me at times that he holds the rolling pin that way...

--
Madame D'Qat
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

He looks a bit shifty-eyed to me, Una. I'd keep watch if I was you ;)

Congratulations on your harvests!

--
Una Lunaqat
@una-lunaqat
8 years ago
58 posts

Two grain and two grape harvests so far! My chef has done his best ....

680_discussions.png

--
Madame D'Qat
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

March 12 ...

First WinePressed & Agedin the Co-op

679_discussions.png?width=721

This is the first barrel of wine produced in the Co-op. It came from 2014 "imported" grapes (i.e. those that came in the Wine Press Kit not those actually grown in the Hamlet).

You can drop by the Winery tosample a free glass. Touch the barrel and the glass is delivered. Wear the glass to drink. The wine is consumed in a number of sips.

I swear I heard music with the first taste ;)

Really looking forward to the first wine produced from our home-grown grapes!

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

The Tuna Tournament sounds deadly! Will have to investigate.

It's really exciting seeing items going up for sale. Thanks!

--
Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

On Tuesday March 9th, I went to my first Tuna Tournament. This has been slightly addictive: You can catch special seafood and prizes, and have the chance to win special coin prizes if you win one of the three heaviest tuna. I'm doing it more for the fun of it and the chance to get the seafood, which we can experiment with (it's considered very valuable and sold at G&S markets for L$).

677_discussions.jpg?width=721

This was my first tuna catch - 9,500kg (I think that means 9.5kg to English speakers), too small to win a coin prize as they all weighed upwards of 9,900kg but still quite nice to have caught! All the tuna I have caught since has been considerably smaller.

Yesterday I harvested my grain field and my potato field. After "cooking" the grain (I feel like I should say "milling" - but that's how it works), I boxed up the flour and potatoes as well as some special bait creels that help enormously while fishing. Here I'm working on my first crate; afterwards I set out the three filled crates on the carts Tatiana's put by the Office. And since then I've made my first sales - many thanks! Looking forward to seeing what you all have made so I can buy from you!

678_discussions.jpg?width=721

Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

Oh that IS exciting!! :D

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

March 10 ... way back on March 1 I happened to snag a basket of gold while I was out fishing ... today I took it to the Office Mint and sold it ...

First Gold Sale ...

676_discussions.png?width=721

The basket contained 5 pieces of gold and I received 25c for each piece. Yes, a grand total of 125c! Now I know this will be extremely exciting to those of us that have learned to make due with a diminishing fortune of 15c and a whole lot of fish. Unless you've been there you probably just won't get it ;)

Let the good times roll!!

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

LOL - Too funny!

--
8 years ago
112 posts

That would be the Instruction Manual for the hoe XD

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Wow - you can read & use a hoe at the same time! I'd probably chop some of my toes off if I tried that (reminds self to get some boots and stop farming in her slippers).

Glad to see how quickly you've adapted to farm life. Looking forward to more :)

--
Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

Hee hee love your pics!! Well-done!

8 years ago
112 posts

March 8

Figuring out how this crop growing thing works.

672_discussions.jpg?width=721

Fishing for dinner after three failed field caring attempts. Hope all the fish doesn't stink up my inventory.

673_discussions.jpg?width=721

Cooking fish on the magic oven. Pretty sure the whole process violates several Food Safety rules XD

674_discussions.jpg?width=721

Fish dinner! Now all I need is to grow some potatoes for fries and wait 200 years for Coca-Cola to be invented

675_discussions.jpg?width=721

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

Brava! You've have been busy this first week. Being a founding member always has extra challenges (like getting enough to eat) so it's good to see you doing so well.

--
Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

Elisabeth, Lady Hartfield ... so terribly excited to join in this experiment, it's so very Rousseauvian!

Tending my grain plot. I also have a potato plot!

670_discussions.png?width=721

I also got a fishing rod. It's really rather quite interesting and contemplative. Though I warn all ladies and gentlemen that you will want to dedicate an old pair of gloves to your fishing. And a separate pair to gardening chores.

671_discussions.png?width=721

I also was able to make a bait creel from some fish I caught, but didn't get a sketch. Still, making headway!

Do come join us, just don't forget your chapeau and gloves! Oh and sturdy shoes!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

March 5 ... First Harvest ...

668_discussions.png?width=721

... big plans for the first sack of grain but first some pictures!

669_discussions.png

((so looking forward to a future that includes the Daguerreotype ))

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
8 years ago
1,895 posts

March 1 ... the start of a brand new community ... I'm starving ... No Energy ... No Money ... No Food in sight ... What will I do?

My First Time Fishing!

665_discussions.png?width=750

My First Time Cooking!

666_discussions.png?width=750

That's Better!

667_discussions.png?width=721

--