Living History
Donate to LHVW

The Duchess of Richmond Ball, Antiquity, 15th. Day of June,

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

The Duchess of Richmond Ball, Antiquity, 15th. Day of June, 1815

3:00pm SLT to 5:00pm SLT. R.S.V.P. Requierd.

What is probably "the most famous ball in history" , was held In Brussels, on the Eve of the Battle of Quatre Bras, on the 15th. day of June in the Year 1815, and the start of actions which would bring an end to the 22 years of the Napoleonic Wars.
Join us in Antiquity, SL, in your finest Regency Artier for what sure to be the Grandest ball of the season as the Guest of your Hostess Lady Charlotte, Duchess of Richmond and Sir Arthur, Duke of Wellington.
The Dance Master for the evening festivitys will be Lady Gabriel Riel of Caledon.
Painting: The Duchess of Richmond's Ball by Robert Alexander Hillingford

Here is my idea I was telling you about for the The Duchess of Richmond Ball on the eve of Waterloo
fine a quickly written sketch of an ideas.
Not just to put on a Time Period Dance, but to do a Re-enactment of a very specific and Famous one. The Duchess of Richmonds Ball, 15th of June, 1815, was on the Eve of events which lead to Waterloo on June 17th, 1815.
Imagine:
A Fine Italian Renaissances Revival Building and gardens. A British Solider on Guard at the Gate, Tents with Soldiers relaxing in the Garden Grounds. You pass by all of this on your way to the Grand Stair Case to the First Floor where the Ball is Going on.
All the Officers in there best Dress Evening Uniforms and White Gloves, The Ladies in the Fancy Ball Gowns. A Large room light by the glow of a thousand candles as the Band plays.
As the Dance is going on, Curriers arrive with Dispatches for different offices. Rumors are spread that Napoleon and his army is on the move. Note: At first it is not taken serous, for such rumors have been coming for two months, with nothing from them.
Next come Dispatches about French Advances across the frontier at Thuin near Charleroi.
Then Rumors of an Attack on the Coalition Forces at Charleroi.
Wellington unsure if this is the Main Force of Napoleon, Nervously, Impatiently Waits for more news.
The Ball Continues on.
Then Late in to the Night, Wellington, receiving a dispatch from the Prince of Orange, he was shocked by the speed of Napoleon's advance, and hastily sends his army to deploy near Nivelles and Quatre Bras.
The Most Famous Ball in History is over and the Battle of Waterloo has just Begun.

This is the Grand vision of an event I have Imaged.

updated by @curtis: 23 Oct 2016 12:12:13AM
John Wilmot Earl of Rochester
@john-wilmot-earl-of-rochester
11 years ago
27 posts

Please remember that on the eve of the battle the British Army were in a poor state due to the constant rain their uniforms were soaked and bedraggled. Also they red dye used for their jackets ran as a result they did not present a particularly smart picture. However most of the officers appeared before the French in their full dress and mess dress and must have looked spectacular. I wish you well with the project if it comes off I would love an invite :)

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

This Event is still being planed, R.S.V.P. are requierd, we are looking at ways to expand the capacity of the Ball Room, whaile still controlling lag.

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

2181_discussions.jpg?width=721

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

2182_discussions.png?width=721

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

I Read in several descriptions of the Room and it Dcor of Palm trees which had been Hastily Painted on to the Fresh plaster Wall of the Carriage Barn, and of he Rose Wall Paper. I been trying to refine that Passage, He is a Except from one of the People who was there about the Rose Wall Paper. -BPM

Georgiana, Dowager Lady De Ros.

.. In 1814 we went to live at Brussels, in a house in the Rue
de la Blanchisserie. Early in June 1815, some of the officers were anxious to
organize a party of pleasure in the neighbourhood, either to Tournay or Lille,
and
begged me to ask the dukes leave; but when I mentioned the idea he at
once said, No; better let that drop; for he knew we should all have been
probably taken prisoners by the French. There were such constant rumors
of the troops moving for two months before Waterloo, that when they were
renewed some days before the 15th we did not attach much importance to
them; and on the afternoon of the 15th Lord Hill called upon us, when we were

all sitting in the garden, and disclaimed any knowledge of a move.
My mothers now famous ball took place in a large room on
the ground-floor on the left of the entrance, connected with the rest of
the house by an ante-room. It had been used by the coach-builder, from whom
the house was hired, to put carriages in, but it was papered before we came
there; and I recollect the papera trellis pattern with roses. My
sisters used the room as a schoolroom, and we used to play battledore, and
shuttlecock there on a wet day. When the duke arrived, rather late, at
the ball, I was dancing, but at once went up to him to ask about the
rumours. He said very gravely, Yes, they are true; we are off to-morrow. This
terrible news was circulated directly, and while some of the officers hurried
away, others remained at the ball, and actually had not time to change their
clothes, but fought in evening costume.

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

Here is the Link to the FB Events Page on the Duchess of Richmond Ball.

https://www.facebook.com/events/536684216354990/

Duchess of Richmond Ball, Event page on FB

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

2183_discussions.jpg?width=721

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts
~ Special Delivery ~
A coach arrives at your door. The liveried footman delivers to your servant an envelope which, when you open it, you find contains an engraved card reading:

Charlotte Lennox, Duchess of Richmond, and Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington, request the honour of your presence at a ball on the evening of 15 June 1815.

Please join BrendonPatrick MacRory and Merry Chase on 15 June 2013 at 3-5pm SLT to recreate this famous ball. If you can attend, please read below, then RSVP to one of us two, and we will provide a landmark on that day.

This event is by invitation only, to prevent lag and ensure enthusiastic and authentic roleplay. Music provided by Gabrielle Riel. Brendon will play the role of the Duke, and Merry the Duchess. Who will you be?

(Please don't be scared off by the request to come in character - it will just be light easy rp of a ball, but under the name of someone who was really there.)

~ The Background ~
Rumours fly regarding massive movements of Napoleon's troops. Our own forces, under Wellington, spend weeks tensed for battle. As an actual major engagement has yet to materialize from these whispers, we decide to go ahead with our plans for a ball.

~ The Event ~
Little knowing the decisive Battle of Waterloo is upon us, we assemble for music, dance, refreshments, flirtation and gossip. Alas, we will be constantly interrupted by a military messenger delivering dispatches. Wellington and the many officers in attendance are, as it will turn out, enjoying the last social event before they end Bonaparte's empire.

~ Attire & Roleplay ~
Kindly view the history at the link below, choose your name from the actual guest list and let us know which guest you will portray. For the event you will be that person. We ask you to join Friends of Regency, so that we can make you a Tag stating your name.

We will wear formal Regency evening attire. If you need LMs to some shops please let us know and we will be glad to provide some. We will be recreating the dance but not the battle so please, no weapons or meters, except for costume weapons.

Duchess_of_Richmond%27s_ball
~ RSVP ~
Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
11 years ago
359 posts

I have already laid claim to the identity of Elizabeth, then-Countess Conyngham and future mistress of the Prince Regent (George IV). My lady's tastes and ambitions seem likely to provide fodder for the determined gossips of any ballroom, respectable or otherwise.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
11 years ago
359 posts

I could be persuaded, sir, if other invitations do not come speedily; a dance is always an excellent chance to display a well-turned ankle to more elevated targets, thanks to these lovely light muslin skirts that are so "en vogue." And of course, we could always enjoy a rubber or three of whist, with our shoe-tips in close but reasonably discrete proximity.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
MarieLouise Harcourt
@marielouise-harcourt
11 years ago
647 posts

I am really excited for this! Did you get my RSVP?

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

Yes, MariaLouis, We have you on the List.

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

Here's the latest dirt on our attendees. I'd love any help on this! Ive added a bit of bio about each. There is a wealth of detail available online, about some of those invited, but others we will have to invent from whole cloth. As for the familial relationships among the guest list, that would require a complex 3-D model to portray.

Please let me know if you know more about anyone on the original Guest List here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchess_of_Richmond%27s_ball#List_of_t... Some of our number are still seeking characters to portray and looking to me for advice. Eep!

Aldo Stern as Lt Colonel George Berkeley At the start of the Waterloo Campaign of 1815, he was the Duke of Wellington's liaison officer at the Prince of Orange's headquarters. His wife Lucy is carrying their first child.

Annette Jameson as Lady Georgiana Lennox: 20-year-old daughter of the hostess, her memoirs of the event are oft quoted. She is as yet unmarried.

Ashleigh Jameson (Reformado) cant be Fredrick Willam, Duke of Brunswick that role was claimed days ago by Baron Klaus.

Augusta von Nassau as Louise Isabelle Auguste Countess of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hachenburg: Louise married at age 16 to the heir to the principality of Nassau-Weilburg, and became Her Serene Highness, The Princess of Nassau-Weilburg, Countess of Sayn-Hachenburg, and Burgravine of Kirchberg four months later. She and her tres cher Fritz had four children. The husband of her youngest daughter, Henrietta, was Archduke Charles, Duke of Teschen, a notable general of the Napoleonic Wars and victor of the Battle of Aspern-Essling against Napoleon I of France.

Baron Klaus von Wolfenbach as "The Black Duke:" Frederick William, Duke of Brunswick-Wolfenbttel, friend and brother-in-law of the Prince Regent. His corps was called the Black Brunswickers because they wore black uniforms in mourning for their occupied country. He not only raised this corps himself but financed it independently, by mortgaging his principality in Oels. Lady Georgiana Lennox will relate, he had attended the Duchess of Richmonds ball in Brussels and left it happy to have a chance to show his fighting ability.

Bosun Greybeard as ___

BrendonPatrick MacRory as Wellington, host of the ball. Arthur Wesley (or Wellesley), fourth (third surviving) son of the Earl of Mornington, was born in Dublin. Their father died when Arthur was 12, and older brother Richard inherited the title and castle. Idle and awkward until his early twenties, Arthur at last excelled in the army. He was created a Duke just last year, at the age of 45, having distinguished himself in battle and risen to the rank of General. His marriage to Kitty is not particularly happy she grew ill and ugly in the ten years between their engagement and marriage but they do have two sons, were recently reunited in France, and he wears always the amulet she gave him, despite finding himself unable to love her. Lacking sufficient troops for an aggressive attack during the Peninsular War, he became known as a defensive general.

Brianna Nightly as ___

Cara Cali as ___

EJ-EleanorJean as Viscountess Hawarden: Jane Crawford Bruce only married Hawarden four years ago, and they have as yet no children. Lady Jane was born in East India.

Elisabeth Milneaux as Lady Osterham, at Hartfield

Ernst Osterman As Lord Osterham, at Hartfield

(I cant find any information on these two, beyond their presence on the guest list. Does anyone know more about them?)

Ethelred Brougham as ___

Jean-Matisse and Alexandrine de Fiennes as ____ and ___

Karen Michelle Lane as ___

Lady Leena Fandango LadyFandango as _____

MarieLouise Harcourt as ___

Mercury Gandt as Captain ___

Merry Chase as Charlotte Lennox, Duchess of Richmond: Eldest daughter of the famously handsome George Duke of Gordon and his wife, celebrated beauty Jane Maxwell, Charlotte had a lot to live up to. Her parents founded the Gordon Highlanders regiment and the Gordon Setter dog breed, plus established the Strathspey dance and the village of Fochebers. Charlotte has chosen to outdo them in the matter of reproduction. She is now 47 and has 14 children aged 5 to 24. Her husband Charles, an avid cricketer, commands the reserve troops of the city of Brussels. He was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 07 to 13, with Wellesley now the Duke of Wellington as his secretary. Her eldest son, also Charles, despite a musket ball still lodged in his chest from when he was commanding a company of the 52 nd in Orthez last year, now serves as ADC to the Prince of Orange.

Olivia Chapman as ___

Pamus Bing as ___

Pz Engineer as ___

Rose Bomse as Katherine Arden

Scorpie - Scorpion Lady as ___

Sidonie Ancelin as Lady Caroline Capel nee' Paget, sister to that Henry Paget who divorced his wife to marry Lady Charlotte (played by Wulfride, below). Caroline herself married below her station. Jane Austen considered all the Pagets shocking.

Tiamat Windstorm as Elizabeth, Countess Conyngham: Despite her beauty, she was considered vulgar, shrewd, greedy, and a voluptuous woman by aristocratic society, on account of her common background; however, she attracted lovers and admirers, including the Tsarevitch of Russia, the future Nicholas. She decided back in 1806 to become the mistress of the Regent, which she will do in four years, in 1819.

Contessa Wizardly as ___

Trilby Minotaur as Elizabeth, dowager Countess Waldegrave: a society beauty who was the subject of portraits by famous artists. She had five children, but has lost her husband and two of her sons. She comforted Queen Charlotte when George III was incapacitated by madness.

TwelfthNight as Duchesse d'Ursel, Lady Josephone-Ferrero Fiesch, has two sons at home, ages 6 years, and four months. Congrats on the new baby!

Wulfride Blitzen and guest as Lady Charlotte Paget and her husband Lord Uxbridge. Uxbridge and Wellington do not get on well at all. The Duke will not speak to Uxbridge. Due to their living together prior to their respective divorces from others and marriage to one another, this couple lived under a cloud until about five years ago, Lady Charlotte went veiled in public and nobody would address her by name. (During the coming battle the coldness between Uxbridge and Wellington will dissolve. Uxbridge will say famously, 'God God Sir, I think I've lost my leg!" and Wellington will look down and say 'By God Sir, so you have!")

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

Role up for grabs! Maj.-Gen. Maitland (Afterwards Sir Peregrine, G.C.B.; commanded 1st Brigade of Guards) is a widower who will elope with my second daughter, Sarah, this coming October. My husband objects strenuously to this match! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peregrine_Maitland

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

The roles of Sarah and my husband the Duke are also available!

Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
11 years ago
264 posts

Hello, Merry, you might want to check the note I sent to Curtis RSVP'ing. Ernst and I will be rp'ing Lord and Lady Osterham at the new RP of Hartfield when it opens in a few weeks, but I had requested the roles of the duc et duchesse d'Ursel. I see TwelfthNight has asked for the role of the duchesse so if that request predated ours, I'll go back to the list, please let me know ASAP. Many thanks!

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

Adding Summer Serendipity as the widowed Lady Sutton.

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

Sidonia "Summer" Sutton has been widowed only two years. Her husband the first Baronet of Moulsey died only a year after making MP for Moulsey Surrey. He was a hard-working man, and the baronetcy, created for him, was never held by another, as he died without heir. We are very glad that the much-younger Summer is out of mourning, so she can wear colours and dance.

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

Oh, so that is who the Osterhams are. Sorry, I have been juggling lots of names on a couple of lists, and that one threw me off.

The roles of Sarah Lennox and Peregrine Maitland will be a lot of fun - might you want those?

Aldo Stern
@aldo-stern
11 years ago
157 posts

By the way, Sere is going to be Lady Berkeley -- she and Sir George were married earlier that year. He is the eldest son of Admiral Berkeley who developed and oversaw the system by which Wellington was kept supplied during the Peninsular War. Like most of Wellington's staff during the Waterloo campaign, Sir George himself was a veteran of the Peninsula, and was at one time colonel of the 35th Regiment of Foot. He's also a Knight of the Bath -- anyone know where I can find a KCB to wear?

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

Looks like we have a Sarah and a possible Peregrine. Still seeking a Duke of Richmond - important role, as he provides the map to Wellington, on which the general pinpoints Waterloo as the likely spot for a showdown.

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

Oh, excellent! And you know, you're going to be parents in about 6 months.

RIP Lady Olivia
@lady-olivia-chapman-deceased
11 years ago
17 posts

Please forgive me for my late reply. I know you've both put in a great amount of work on this! I would happily play any role assigned that you feel might be helpful, but nothing that requires too much research, please (reality has been a large beast this week!!)

Belladonna Ohare
@belladonna-ohare
11 years ago
52 posts

I would love to come. How do get the LM?

Bella

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

We're trying to figure that out --- we will post the LM here, and on the Facebook event page, and hope everyone will either find it in one of those places or contact us, as alas the guest list has got far too big for us to send one out to each person I'm afraid. Think that'll work?

Also, whom do you plan to portray? Let me know if you need a role assigned.

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

Another update on roles. Still seeking a Sir Peregrine and a Duke of Richmond. Gentlemen?

If anyone needs me to assign a role to them, let me know.

PEOPLE AND BIOS!

If you haven't already got a role please choose one that isn't already taken, from the Guest List here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchess_of_Richmond%27s_ball#List_of_t ...

Aldo Stern and Sere Timeless as Lt Colonel George and Lady Lucy Berkeley At the start of the Waterloo Campaign of 1815, he was the Duke of Wellington's liaison officer at the Prince of Orange's headquarters. Lucy is carrying their first child.

Annette Jameson as Lady Georgiana Lennox: 20-year-old daughter of the hostess, her memoirs of the event are oft quoted. She is as yet unmarried.

Aphrodite MacBain and Luthien as Duc and Duchesse of Beaufort

Ashleigh Jameson (Reformado) cant be Fredrick Willam, Duke of Brunswick that role was claimed days ago by Baron Klaus.

Augusta von Nassau as Louise Isabelle Auguste Countess of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Hachenburg: Louise married at age 16 to the heir to the principality of Nassau-Weilburg, and became Her Serene Highness, The Princess of Nassau-Weilburg, Countess of Sayn-Hachenburg, and Burgravine of Kirchberg four months later. She and her tres cher Fritz had four children. The husband of her youngest daughter, Henrietta, was Archduke Charles, Duke of Teschen, a notable general of the Napoleonic Wars and victor of the Battle of Aspern-Essling against Napoleon I of France.

Baron Klaus von Wolfenbach as "The Black Duke:" Frederick William, Duke of Brunswick-Wolfenbttel, friend and brother-in-law of the Prince Regent. His corps was called the Black Brunswickers because they wore black uniforms in mourning for their occupied country. He not only raised this corps himself but financed it independently, by mortgaging his principality in Oels. Lady Georgiana Lennox will relate, he had attended the Duchess of Richmonds ball in Brussels and left it happy to have a chance to show his fighting ability.

Bosun Greybeard as ___

Belladonna O'Hare as _____

BrendonPatrick MacRory as Wellington, host of the ball. Arthur Wesley (or Wellesley), fourth (third surviving) son of the Earl of Mornington, was born in Dublin. Their father died when Arthur was 12, and older brother Richard inherited the title and castle. Idle and awkward until his early twenties, Arthur at last excelled in the army. He was created a Duke just last year, at the age of 45, having distinguished himself in battle and risen to the rank of General. His marriage to Kitty is not particularly happy she grew ill and ugly in the ten years between their engagement and marriage but they do have two sons, were recently reunited in France, and he wears always the amulet she gave him, despite finding himself unable to love her. Lacking sufficient troops for an aggressive attack during the Peninsular War, he became known as a defensive general.

Brianna Nightly as ___

Cara Cali as ___

EJ-EleanorJean as Viscountess Hawarden: Jane Crawford Bruce only married Hawarden four years ago, and they have as yet no children. Lady Jane was born in East India.

Elisabeth Milneaux and Ernst Osterman as the Marquisse and Marquis de Assche. It's on their property that the carriage house is located, where the ball is being held. Sir William Augustus Fraser will later write, "It was from their house that we saw the wounded brought in."

(I cant find any information on these two, beyond their presence on the guest list. Does anyone know more about them?)

Ethelred Brougham as ___

Mercury Gandt as Captain ___

Merry Chase as Charlotte Lennox, Duchess of Richmond: Eldest daughter of the famously handsome George Duke of Gordon and his wife, celebrated beauty Jane Maxwell, Charlotte had a lot to live up to. Her parents founded the Gordon Highlanders regiment and the Gordon Setter dog breed, plus established the Strathspey dance and the village of Fochebers. Charlotte has chosen to outdo them in the matter of reproduction. She is now 47 and has 14 children aged 5 to 24. Her husband Charles, an avid cricketer, commands the reserve troops of the city of Brussels. He was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 07 to 13, with Wellesley now the Duke of Wellington as his secretary. Her eldest son, also Charles, despite a musket ball still lodged in his chest from when he was commanding a company of the 52nd in Orthez last year, now serves as ADC to the Prince of Orange.

Olivia Chapman as Sarah Lennox with ___ as Sir Peregrine, her beau. Her father the Duke of Richmond objects to the match but four months after the ball, the pair will elope.

Pamus Bing as ___

Pz Engineer as ___

Sidonie Ancelin as Lady Caroline Capel nee' Paget, sister to that Henry Paget who divorced his wife to marry Lady Charlotte (played by Wulfride, below). Caroline herself married below her station. Jane Austen considered all the Pagets shocking.

Tiamat Windstorm as Elizabeth, Countess Conyngham: Despite her beauty, she was considered vulgar, shrewd, greedy, and a voluptuous woman by aristocratic society, on account of her common background; however, she attracted lovers and admirers, including the Tsarevitch of Russia, the future Nicholas. She decided back in 1806 to become the mistress of the Regent, which she will do in four years, in 1819.

Contessa Wizardly as ___

Trilby Minotaur as Elizabeth, dowager Countess Waldegrave: a society beauty who was the subject of portraits by famous artists. She had five children, but has lost her husband and two of her sons. She comforted Queen Charlotte when George III was incapacitated by madness.

TwelfthNight as Duchesse d'Ursel, Lady Josephone-Ferrero Fiesch, has two sons at home, ages 6 years, and four months. Congrats on the new baby!

Wulfride Blitzen and guest as Lady Charlotte Paget and her husband Lord Uxbridge. Uxbridge and Wellington do not get on well at all. The Duke will not speak to Uxbridge. Due to their living together prior to their respective divorces from others and marriage to one another, this couple lived under a cloud until about five years ago, Lady Charlotte went veiled in public and nobody would address her by name. (During the coming battle the coldness between Uxbridge and Wellington will dissolve. Uxbridge will say famously, 'God God Sir, I think I've lost my leg!" and Wellington will look down and say 'By God Sir, so you have!")

Aldo Stern
@aldo-stern
11 years ago
157 posts

a suggestion for you gents, if you are having trouble finding the uniform that is right for your character, a number of the officers who attended the ball wore civilian evening dress rather than their uniforms (some of them such as General Picton did not have time to change and took part in the battle wearing their civilian clothing)

anyhow the bottom line is, if you can't find a uniform, don't let that stop you from attending

RIP Lady Olivia
11 years ago
17 posts

Thank you. No beau here, so anyone wishing to go without a role, feel free to join me! (Promise I won't stalk you haha)

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

The Location of the Duchess of Richmond Ball is Port Isabel Lighthouse , Antiquity Texas (15, 220, 3002)

We have Tags and LM for guest, in world.

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

Duchess of Richmond Ball, Land Mark

Here is the Land Mark to the Duchess of Richmond Ball

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

2184_discussions.png?width=721

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

With apologies for errors on my last post of roles, here is another update. I will have yet another soon, as Lady Sere has taken on this task of managing the guest list, and she will have some new information.

Still seeking a Sir Peregrine and a Duke of Richmond. Gentlemen?

If anyone needs her to assign a role to them, let Sere know.

PEOPLE AND BIOS!

If you haven't already got a role please choose one that isn't already taken, from the Guest List here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchess_of_Richmond%27s_ball#List_of_t ...

Aldo Stern and Sere Timeless as Lt Colonel George and Lady Lucy Berkeley At the start of the Waterloo Campaign of 1815, he was the Duke of Wellington's liaison officer at the Prince of Orange's headquarters. Lucy is carrying their first child.

Aphrodite MacBain and Luthien as Duc and Duchesse of Beaufort

Baht as Major McM

Beth Pentwyn and DB Cooper as Lady Elizabeth and Lord John Somerset

Bosun Greybeard as ___

Belladonna O'Hare as _____

Brianna Nightly as ___

Cara Cali as ___

Elisabeth Milneaux and Ernst Osterman as the Marquisse and Marquis de Assche. It's on their property that the carriage house is located, where the ball is being held. Sir William Augustus Fraser will later write, "It was from their house that we saw the wounded brought in."

Ethelred Brougham as ___

Mercury Gandt as Captain Webster

Merry Chase as Charlotte Lennox, Duchess of Richmond: Eldest daughter of the famously handsome George Duke of Gordon and his wife, celebrated beauty Jane Maxwell, Charlotte had a lot to live up to. Her parents founded the Gordon Highlanders regiment and the Gordon Setter dog breed, plus established the Strathspey dance and the village of Fochebers. Charlotte has chosen to outdo them in the matter of reproduction. She is now 47 and has 14 children aged 5 to 24. Her husband Charles, an avid cricketer, commands the reserve troops of the city of Brussels. He was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 07 to 13, with Wellesley now the Duke of Wellington as his secretary. Her eldest son, also Charles, despite a musket ball still lodged in his chest from when he was commanding a company of the 52nd in Orthez last year, now serves as ADC to the Prince of Orange.

Nimue Brezoianu as Comtesse Douairiere DOultremont

Olivia Chapman as ____

Pamus Bing as ___

Patty Poppy as Sarah Lennox with ___ as Sir Peregrine, her beau. Her father the Duke of Richmond objects to the match but four months after the ball, the pair will elope.

Pz Engineer as ___

Tessa Contessa Wizardly as ___

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

Indeed, that's a very good point. Thank you, Aldo!

RIP Lady Olivia
11 years ago
17 posts

It seems the availability of roles for female attendees is limited. I'm happy to step aside if need be. I hope you all have a fabulous time! :)

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

Oh no, please! I do hope for you to be there and I'm so sorry I got confused. I forgot it was Patty who had elected to play Sarah and thought it was you. There are still some delightful ladies' roles available and Sere and I are thinking about this right now!

RIP Lady Olivia
11 years ago
17 posts

Not to worry! There is always a dust bunny under a couch to be hunted down, or a closet that needs to be organized! *laughs* Not quite as glamorous, but certainly necessary.If you manage it, I'm there. If not, I'll have accomplished something! :)

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

We are going a little nuts with this list. I'll have a role for you shortly.

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

With my profuse apologies for all the mistakes made along the way, here as the ball is about to begin is the latest and most correct possible guest list. Please contact Sere Timeless if you are in need of a role.

Aldo Stern as Charles Lennox, Duke of Richmond

Aphrodite MacBain and

Luthien as Duc and Duchesse of Beaufort

Baht McMahon as Major McMahon, Royal Scots Grey

Belladonna O'Hare as Comtesse de Luiny

Beth Pentewyn and

deebee Cooper as Lady Elizabeth & Lord John Somerset

Bosun Greybeard as ___

Brianna Nightly as ___

Cara Cali as Lady Mary Lennox, eldest daughter to the Duke and Duchess of Richmond. At age 25 shes nearly an old maid, but she will wed in five years, to an officer in attendance at the ball: Charles FitzRoy.

Cuthbert Helendale as the Reverend Samuel Briscall ("Brixall" on the Duchess' guest list), Fellow of Brasenose College, Oxford and British Army chaplain.

Elisabeth Milneaux and

Ernst Osterman as the Marquisse and Marquis de Assche. It's on their property that the carriage house is located, where the ball is being held. Sir William Augustus Fraser will later write, "It was from their house that we saw the wounded brought in."

Ethelred Brougham as Sir Sidney Smith

Jean-Matisse and

Alexandrine de Fiennes as ____ and ___

Jonah Luckless as Charles FitzRoy

MarieLouise Harcourt as Lady Smith

Mercury Gandt as Captain Webster

Nimue Brezoianu as Comtesse Douairiere DOultremon

Olivia Chapman as Lady Susan Clinton, nee Charteris, wife of Sir Henry. Married 15 years, she will die childless next year.

Pamus Bing as ___

Patty Poppy as Sarah Lennox, daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Richmond. She will be flirting with Sir Peregrine, her beau. Her father the Duke of Richmond objects to the match but four months after the ball, the pair will elope.

Pz Engineer as ___

Sere Timeless as Lady Julianna Annesley, Social Secretary to the Duchess of Richmond

Summer Serendipity as Lady Sidonia "Summer" Sutton (given name chosen by Summer as we could not find Lady Sutton's actual name.)

Tessa Contessa Wizardly as ___

William Greymoon as Major-General Peregrine Maitland, a widower, future knight, and the beau of Sarah Lennox.

Wulfride Blitzen and

Roary Cymru as Lady Charlotte Paget and her husband Lord Uxbridge. Uxbridge and Wellington do not get on well at all. The Duke will not speak to Uxbridge. Due to their living together prior to their respective divorces from others and marriage to one another, this couple lived under a cloud until about five years ago, Lady Charlotte went veiled in public and nobody would address her by name. (During the coming battle the coldness between Uxbridge and Wellington will dissolve. Uxbridge will say famously, 'God God Sir, I think I've lost my leg!" and Wellington will look down and say 'By God Sir, so you have!")

Jacon Cortes as Prince Auguste dArenberg

Gabrielle Riel providing music

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts
Thank you all for making it a memorable event. I am so sorry that the evening ended on a dark note, but I do hope our brave soldiers will return victorious, or reincarnate in time to do it again next year! There will be other, smaller, and lighter-RP events in Regency Somerset so please watch this space for updates, and Like our page on Facebook! RegencySomerset?fref=ts
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

Photos! http://royalcourts.ning.com/photo/albums/duchess-of-richmond-s-ball-15-june-1815-2013#.Ub0Tz5y8PRN

I can only load four per day? Okay, I'll be uploading pics for about 11 days.

RIP Lady Olivia
11 years ago
17 posts
Can't wait to see them! Sounds like it was a success :)
Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
11 years ago
264 posts

Hihi send some pictures to others of us, I know I was not able to take any but will be happy to give you my allotment! It was a wonderful occasion and OOC'ly I congratulate you on a well-deserved triumph!

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

Thank you - how do I send them to you?

I hope everyone had a good time though things ended sadly. :)

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

I guess it was despite all the confusion! Yay!

Aldo Stern
@aldo-stern
11 years ago
157 posts

it was an ambitious, remarkable event. Thank you to all who helped make it possible, especially Merry and Brendon. well done.

Contessa Elena Marina Foscari
@contessa-elena-marina-foscari
11 years ago
49 posts

What a wonderful event....Thankyou to all the organisers !!!!!!

MarieLouise Harcourt
@marielouise-harcourt
11 years ago
647 posts

A success indeed!

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

2185_discussions.png?width=721

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

2186_discussions.png?width=721

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

I would Like to thank and recognize all of those who put some much effort to make this Ball a Successes. There was so much planning and work which went in to make this happen, but every ones efforts was well worth it. A Wonderful event, Thank you.

HRH Jacon, el Duque de Bexar. Lady Cara Cali, Lady Sere Timeless, Doctor Aldo Stern, Countess Twelthnight, Lady Gabrielle Riel of Caledon, and Baroness Merry Chase.

Sincerely, Baron BrendonPatrick MacRory, ESQ.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,904 posts

You can find out more about Sharing Photos on this Site - Limitations . As you will see, the rules haveevolved over the years but the general philosophy remains the same.

Given that only 100 photoscan beshown on the first page limitations are necessary to allow every event/individual to be recognized before being bumped off. I still believe that having 12 photos of the same event in the top 100 is plenty and if you have more it really would be better to create a video or have a separate thread containing the photos.

Thanks

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

Oh, i see, ok - I have uploaded four more photos and will leave it at that. There are certainly plenty of shots of the ball. Thanks!

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

That is most gratifying to hear! I know I learned a lot - about organising events, and also about the history we tried to recreate. If you felt a little as if you were there, for a moment, I call that a success. I know I found myself trying to get inside the thoughts and emotions of my character and having moments of insight. Thank you and everyone who attended for creating that connection with the past.

Merry Chase
@merry-chase
11 years ago
154 posts

Sorry again for the confusion. There were two people who wound up having doubles, in spite of all efforts, but now I know better how to plan in advance. Thanks for all your patience.

Curtis
@curtis
11 years ago
103 posts

Regency Somerset FB group

Many pictuers are now posted from a couple of the Attendies