Living History
Donate to LHVW

The Masks of the Carnival of Venice: The Bauta

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
10 years ago
358 posts

The Masks of the Carnival of Venice: The Bauta

2929_discussions.jpg Originally, the Carnival of Venice was to celebrate the victory of the Republic of Venice or "Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia" in 1162 against the Patriarchate of Aquileia, another Italian city state of the era. The people of Venice began celebrating this victory as Carnival in the Piazza di San Marco of Venice. The Carnival of Venice typically ends forty days before the Christian holy day of Easter on Shrove Tuesday, also known as Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras, the day before Ash Wednesday.

The Bauta mask was made in a style with a jutting chin so that the person wearing it could eat and drink while the mask was on. It is one of the oldest styles of masks and was typically black or white in color. The Bauta mask should not be confused with the Medico della peste or 'The Plague Doctor' mask which has a very long beak. The Plague Doctor mask was used to avoid illness and the style did not originate with Carnival.

Historically, the Bauta mask was constructed of leather, porcelain or glass. The Batua mask is worn with a tricorn hat and a veil covering the rest of the head and neck. Many of the capes or 'tabarro' were originally red, white or blue in color. By the 18th century, it was a very popular costume and the capes worn with the costume were also black.

2930_discussions.jpg 2931_discussions.jpg

The mask allowed for complete anonymity in a society of strict social classes of rich and poor, the Bauta allowed for a leveling of the playing field during social events. The wearer could completely conceal their identity so the possibilities of intrigue were rampant. The shape of the mask along the nose area also would allow the wearer to partially change their voice to allow for even more of a disguise.

Originally only allowed during the Carnival, the costumes became more prevalent outside of that time period before Ash Wednesday even during political events where being anonymous was important. Typically worn by men, there are examples of artwork where both men and women wore the Bauta mask or masks in general. Pietro Longhi (1701/2 - 1785) was a Venetian born painter who subjects included everyday Venetian life. He included in his works more than one painting of people in Bauta masks and costumes, or other mask styles not covered in this article.

2932_discussions.jpg

Clara the Rhinoceros (Ca' Rezzonico) by Pietro Longhi, 1751

2933_discussions.jpg?width=750

The Ridotto in Venice, by Pietro Longhi, ca. 1750's

Inspired by our recent exploration to Venexia in SL and the recent holidays of Carnival and Mardi Gras, the Bauta masks for Carnival are intriguing. There are many more masks used during Carnival with their own style and history. Some reference links are included below for further reading if you wish. A thanks to Lucerius Zeffirelli for the inspiration for this piece.

Reference Links:

http://slowitaly.yourguidetoitaly.com/2013/01/carnival-of-venice-types-of-venetian-masks/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_of_Venice

http://www.delpiano.com/carnival/html/bauta.html

http://www.venetian-masquerade-masks.net/2010/08/origins-and-history-of-bauta-mask.html

http://www.camacana.com/tag/bauta-3/

Cheers and thanks for reading,

Leena :)

updated by @lady-leena-fandango: 04 Apr 2019 01:13:00PM
Candace Ducatillon
@candace-ducatillon
10 years ago
204 posts

Thanks for this peek into the history of the Bauta, Lady Leena. I find it amazing that some of them were made of glass.

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
10 years ago
358 posts

I'm glad you liked the article, I was surprised as well. There are some beautiful images on google, the craftsmanship that went into them past and present is very extraordinary :)

I wonder if the ornateness of the mask itself lead to anyone being able to tell if someone was more wealthy ... hmm, that's something else to read about :)

Summer Serendipity
@summer-serendipity
10 years ago
69 posts

My goodness, Leena! I think you earned yourself a Doctorate in Bautatomy based on all the information you gleaned for us on this subject. Well done! ( :

Summer Serendipity
@summer-serendipity
10 years ago
69 posts

Correction: Make that Bautatology AND Bautatomy ! You covered it ALL. ( ;

Contessa Elena Marina Foscari
@contessa-elena-marina-foscari
10 years ago
49 posts

Thank you for posting this.....one day Venezia will return

The Bauta mask is rarely ornamented, and remains anonymous and simple....maybe what the wearer wore underneath might give away their true status.

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
10 years ago
358 posts

That's a good point Contessa, since the mask was meant to be anonymous and simple ... everyone might do that on purpose to allow them some 'freedoms' while wearing it :)

I was thinking about that time you and Mercury wore these outfits at Versailles and I thought you were both wearing plague masks .... I think the masks you wore were this type, the Bauta? :)

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
10 years ago
358 posts

Thank you Summer, the masks are really a great topic :)

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
10 years ago
358 posts

Hugs my friend ... I'm sorry this pains you but as I recall you did wear this costume, not only to Versailles with Nimue but to Lady Olivia's party. I know it's not the same as physically being there.

2934_discussions.jpg?width=721

Capt. Lucerius Zeffirelli
@capt-lucerius-zeffirelli
10 years ago
14 posts

Very informative essay on the Bauta. I enjoyed reading very much. Here is one of my favorite pics of the bauta costume on the web. It's a little more fancier, with a gold mask and lacier tunic: http://club-3t.ru/uploads/posts/2010-02/1266759919_gold-bauta.jpg

...And since we're on the subject of the Venice Carnival, here's something I posted a few months ago. I'm posting it again just for fun: Vivaldi - Four Seasons (Winter)

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
10 years ago
358 posts

That is a great photo, and I love the rose. Venetians loved their intrigue and the costumes that allowed more anonymity so the photo is very suggestive of that. Thanks for sharing it :)

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
10 years ago
358 posts

Beautiful music and the backdrop of Venice is perfect. Some of those masks are so ornate in the video, I think the one with the clamshell is extraordinary. Thanks for sharing this too :)

Capt. Lucerius Zeffirelli
@capt-lucerius-zeffirelli
10 years ago
14 posts

Another version of the Bauta I just found just now. Too good not to post: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YPhxOzTWMVA/TGqY6XOEvXI/AAAAAAAAADU/f8DhQ...

And Leena, this is the inspiration for my own version that I was telling you about that day... this was the double faced "bauta" from the movie Amadeus: http://s3.amazonaws.com/bo-assets/production/attachments/17272/original/amadeusblurayreview.jpg?1278319245

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
10 years ago
358 posts

That's a beautiful one! :))

Lorsagne de Sade
@lorsagne-de-sade
10 years ago
313 posts

Beautifully done! Thank you.

Summer Serendipity
@summer-serendipity
10 years ago
69 posts

You two are amazing me! How what started out as a simple spontaneous evening get together has spawned such a rich and colorful aftermath with fabulous music and loads of eye candy, not to mention gems of fascinating historical references ( : !!! ... thank you for such an enjoyable and memorable gift.

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
10 years ago
358 posts

I'm glad you like the discussion, thanks for reading and the nice comment :)

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
10 years ago
358 posts

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like it :)

And Clara? LOL :)

Summer Serendipity
@summer-serendipity
10 years ago
69 posts

I suspect Clara is more than a bit miffed at the jubilant fellow off to the left proudly brandishing her removed horn, poor thing!

10 years ago
49 posts

They were indeed the Bauta....I remember the occasion well

10 years ago
49 posts

Nice shot of the Portici round the Palazzo Ducale

.....Sigh......

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
10 years ago
358 posts

Wow Summer, you are completely right ... I didn't even notice the missing horn.

Summer Serendipity
@summer-serendipity
10 years ago
69 posts

Guess all the Sherlock Holmes DVD's I've been watching lately are rubbing off on me, LOL.

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
10 years ago
358 posts

Thank you for posting this information Comte about Clara, it makes sense that the horn would be removed so that Clara wouldn't gore anyone. She must have been quite a sight to see in the 18th century Italian city states.

I looked at some conservation websites and it seems that a rhinoceros horn can be removed safely and without pain if done right and the very base of it is not disturbed. In modern times, some horns have been removed to prevent poaching. The horn is made of keratin and doesn't have any nerve endings.

Cheers :)

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
10 years ago
358 posts

Thank you Stormy :))

Jane Ixtar
@jane-ixtar
10 years ago
115 posts

Lady Leena et Monsieur Gandt,A beautiful project and discussion. The richness and detail of the masksis reflected in the detail here as you've presented thiswonderful subject. Just delectable detail and expression. Makes me want to dive in. Awesome, I love your posts.

Jane Ixtar
@jane-ixtar
10 years ago
115 posts

Yes Candice, the glass, I guess Venetian glass so yeah. You would need to be careful wouldn't you? I recently visited my neighbour to see immediately that she had a Venetian mask in her cabinet, sent from her sister in Rome,and it was like a beacon, beaming down through the ages peering excitedly through the glass pains of the cabinetas it rested in between lace and family memories. Incredibly charismatic, if a mask can be.. I opened the cabinet and and took it my hands .. it was heavier than i expected and then I placed it on. It was pretty special.

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
10 years ago
358 posts

Thank you very much Jane :))