Living History
Donate to LHVW

Construction of Schönbrunn Palace, Vienna

FrancisI Stephen de Lorraine
@francisi-stephen-de-lorraine
13 years ago
9 posts

The House of Habsburg is proud to announce the building of Schnbrunn Palace, Vienna.

Construction will take several months and the final wing should be finished earlyfall 2011.

1161_discussions.jpg

The history of Schnbrunn and the previous buildings that stood on this site goes back to the Middle Ages. The whole estate was referred to as the Katterburg from the beginning of the 14th century and belonged to the manor of the monastery at Klosterneuburg. Over the following centuries the names of numerous tenants are documented, including a few prominent figures such as, in 1548, Hermann Bayer, who was mayor of Vienna and who extended the buildings, transforming the property into a manorial estate.

In 1569 the estate came into Habsburg possession through Maximilian II , and according to the title deeds included a house, a watermill and stabling as well as a pleasure garden and an orchard . Maximilian was primarily interested in extending the game park, which was principally intended for the breeding of native game and fowl. However, the pheasantry also contained exotic fowl such as peafowl and turkeys.

Following the sudden death of Maximilian II in 1576 the Katterburg passed to Rudolph II , who did little except sanction the necessary funds for its upkeep. Emperor Matthias used the estate for hunting, and according to a legend is supposed to have come across the Schne Brunnen (meaning 'fair spring'), which eventually gave the estate its name, while on a hunting excursion in 1612.

updated by @francisi-stephen-de-lorraine: 12 Oct 2016 12:49:45AM
MarieLouise Harcourt
@marielouise-harcourt
13 years ago
647 posts
No way! I just went there myself in RL! It's realy gorgeous. I wonder how you''ll do the interior though, as it's not allowed to take pics inside. Anyway, good luck!
13 years ago
9 posts
Happy to hear you were there visiting. We will have tolimit ourself to 41 rooms parterre and of every room thereare enough pictures available on www.schoenbrumm.at . It will be the main residence for the House of Habsburg-Lorraine. Former Prague Castle wasthe residence of Ferdinand I and Anna andtill RudolphII. Later on the Habsburgs moved permanent toSchnbrunn, Hofburg and temporary to Riegersburg, Graz also Firenze. In building it, we do not claim 100% accuracy as it would effect the funcionality for role play andupcoming events. We will keep you updated through pictures and information upon the progress of the works. Habsburgis known andruled by a Queen who is not afraid to take a shovel and a pickin her own hands.
13 years ago
9 posts
Lets make it right. It should be www.schoenbrunn.at .
Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
13 years ago
471 posts

There are photos on the website for Schnbrunn;) I noticed it during my search for 18th century Habsburg-Lorraine portraits. Its a very beautiful palace..it even says so in the name! (the"schn" in Schnbrunn means beautiful)

Id really would like to visit there sometime...

Sir Thomas Cave
@sir-thomas-cave
13 years ago
145 posts
I must add this into my next tour. I can't wait to see it.
Maria Carolina von Habsburg
@maria-carolina-von-habsburg
13 years ago
17 posts
I'm looking forward to seeing our home come to life.
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,902 posts
What an exciting project. Looking forward to seeing it progress!

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
Anne, Comtesse de Noailles
@anne-comtesse-de-noailles
13 years ago
263 posts

this is very exciting. I think that reproductions of rl places and buildings in sl is particularly challenging.

I wish you all the best and and I am certain that the result will be fabulous. a valuable addition to the courts community.

Anne, Comtesse de Noailles
@anne-comtesse-de-noailles
13 years ago
263 posts

iwas there too...I did take pictures. It's possible...you just have to be very smart :D I did hide my camera under my coat...but shhh

my friend was less fortunate and they confiscated her cam ;)