Market
Donate to LHVW

Period Clothing Options for Mesh Bodies! Twelfth Night Designs! (UPDATED)

Twelfth Night
@twelfth-night
8 years ago
221 posts

New Clothing Appliers for Maitreya and Belleza mesh bodies are now in the shop!

Everything old is new again! :)

419_discussions.jpg?width=750

Gowns include the original SL body system clothes with clothing appliers. You get all the fashion benefits of the SL system textures with the addition of the mesh appliers. Fit mesh and standard mesh gowns often require that avatars modify their shapes to fit the dress. Appliers allow the avatar to wear clothing that fits their shape. For years, I have heard period ladies complain about mesh gowns not fitting their shape or were not historically accurate enough. These appliers are the perfect solution to enjoy the new mesh bodies and keep our period dressing options open. More variety! :)

For those new to mesh bodies... Appliers work very much like the traditional SL system textures. They apply directly to the mesh body like the old textured clothes we love.

Mesh bodies have three system layers built into their HUDs. For example, the Maitreya body features a Tattoo, Underwear, and Clothing layer within their HUD. Inside this gown folder you will find an applier for clothing, stockings, and gloves. You should be able to add the stockings and gloves to the underwear or tattoo layer depending on your dressing preference. The main gown texture should be applied on the clothing layer.

To APPLY the applier layer just add to your body and click the gold ball prim. A menu will open. You may also rez the ball on the ground if you wish.

Period Shoes:
I continue to offer my standard period slippers and boots.

Slippers come with a sizing script that can be deleted once fitted to your mesh body foot. With the proper increase in size and angling on your foot, the shoes should be wearable with the mesh body. I can't promise all bodies will work obviously but I was able to adapt them to my Maitreya feet. Please see photo.

420_discussions.jpg?width=750
Boots are easy to apply. Just add the boots and turn on your foot alpha in your mesh body HUD.

As always gowns include shoes, hats, and a mesh underskirt for modesty. I will continue to update my old SL system gowns to include appliers. It will take some time so please be patient. If there is a favorite gown you wish to have an applier for... I will consider a consignment.

I have a new Regency Fit Mesh gown and men's suit coming soon... as well as some 1950s gowns that celebrate the Route 66 Event in SL coming up this month. So be sure to be on the look out for these soon!

421_discussions.jpg?width=750

I plan to be expanding into Slink and Adam male appliers as well. I would love to hear your feedback on which mesh bodies you are now wearing and what bodies you feel period creators should design for. If you are a creator and need some help learning more about the applier systems... just message me in world.

I hope you enjoy your new Updated Applier gowns! Here is your carriage to the shop.

UPDATE TO POST - I have added an APPLIER ONLY vendor for those wanting to just purchase the appliers.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Antiquity%20Bexar/88/64/22

422_discussions.jpg?width=750

:) Twelfth

423_discussions.jpg?width=750

updated by @twelfth-night: 05 Oct 2016 12:46:53PM
Marie-Adélina de La Ferrière
@marie-adelina-de-la-ferriere
8 years ago
80 posts

LOVE LOVE LOVE! I have been anxiously waiting for someone to make pre-modern dresses for mesh bodies. I use TMP. I LOVE it, but now I realize there are not that many designers who cater to a more...formal...taste.

Twelfth Night
@twelfth-night
8 years ago
221 posts

I am so happy you are loving your TMP mesh body. I also LOVE my mesh body! I was amazed by the quality and improvement to my form. I love that I was able to keep my shape. I don't plan to wear my original SL body anymore. When I realized I could make my favorite period gowns to wear and I was no longer creativity confined by the standard mesh gowns... I was thrilled! The appliers are easy to make but it will take time to update all my SL system gowns.

I will look into adding The Mesh Project appliers to the shop. Do you by any chance have an landmark for their store? I would like to pick up an applier kit. :) I will keep you posted!

8 years ago
80 posts

Here is the online link to apply: http://themeshproject.org/

Twelfth Night
@twelfth-night
8 years ago
221 posts

Thank you :) I found the shop, too!

I got news yesterday I was approved for Slink. So, I will be adding Slink appliers next while I wait to hear back from The Mesh Project.

Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
8 years ago
359 posts

This is slightly off-topic, but I've avoided mesh bodies because I like to customize shape to my own preferences and character needs. Is it possible to edit the details of a mesh shape, and if it is, does the editor need to invest in any particular tools to do it?

Marchioness Conygham was FAT in 1820! I haven't been able to find any mesh clothing that will show more than a slight plumpness, although the system shape allows me to pad her as much as I please.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Twelfth Night
@twelfth-night
8 years ago
221 posts

Yes, Tia! :) The mesh bodies are Fit Mesh so they adjust to your SL body measurements/shape underneath when worn. I am using my 12th shape with my mesh body. And yes, you can modify the mesh body. To edit the mesh body you just use the SL appearance editor.

I am in love with the Maitreya body... but you can try the TMP, Slink, Eve, or Belleza bodies which are also popular. I am still using my SL head and skin for my face. My body skin is one of the glam skin presets in the HUD. Europa matched my face perfect. Many skin creators are making appliers of their skins now. You may be able to find an updated version of your skin. You can contact your creator to ask. My skin maker is no longer in SL I think so I am using the glam skin on the body. I am very happy with the combination. There is a neck fitter in the mesh body HUD that blends the neck to body connection. Basically, you end up looking like your SL self... just more smooth, defined, and realistic. If you look in the ADs above where my arm is exposed... you get an idea of the definition.

The Marchioness can be as plump as the regular SL appearance editor will allow... and the mesh body will stretch to fit the shape underneath. :))) I know you have seen the ladies around SL with the wide hip mesh bodies. They are using the SL appearance editor to achieve that look. Appliers also provide modesty on the body when you tp from sim to sim. Once an applier is on... it stays on the body till its removed in the HUD. :)

So yes, you can customize your shape to your own preferences and character needs with a mesh body!

Twelfth Night
@twelfth-night
8 years ago
221 posts

Here are the Slurls for anyone interested in trying a mesh body demo from Maitreya, Belleza, Slink, and The Mesh Project (TMP). :)

Maitreya

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Maitreya%20Isle/174/192/23

Belleza

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Belleza/127/78/26

Slink

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Slink/36/123/25

The Mesh Project

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/The%20Shops/135/125/4

Absolut Creation for Adam and Eve Bodies

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Absolut%20Creation/161/169/23

8 years ago
80 posts

Mesh Body Addicts did reviews for several of the mesh bodies mentioned above, detailing and explaining pros and cons of each. You can view them here .

Jacon Cortes
@jacon-cortes-de-bexar
8 years ago
252 posts

Greetings

Reading this from afar, I would also like throw a couple cents in this conversations...:)) I love your new mesh appliers and allowing us to use your clothes with the more modern mesh bodies, but I would like to go a step farther and ask if we can try to get our period creators to the start to offer these for use. We are a very small group of creators that do period clothing and accessories. Maybe we can have some workshops to help teach other creators how to use your older stuff with the new mesh appliers. How to use HUD's to change textures and other ways to bring our period things up to date.

--
His Royal Highness Jacon Cortes de Bexar Prince of Antiquity, Duke of Cumberland, Duque de Bexar, Duc de la Valliere, Marchese di MSB
8 years ago
359 posts

That's very reassuring. I may yet invest in a mesh shape, therefore. And appliers will certainly fix the issue of looking slim-hipped and flat-stomached even in the largest mesh size in the dressmaker's box.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Twelfth Night
@twelfth-night
8 years ago
221 posts

Yes! It would be wonderful to encourage more period designers to offer appliers for mesh bodies. I know the men would love some menswear appliers!

If there is interest here...

We certainly could have some workshops to discuss appliers and HUDs. These workshops could be beneficial to keeping period creators more marketable and increase their sales. I feel its important to stay current with the technologies and maintain that quality of detail we love so much from the period lifestyle.

I am wondering how people are feeling about all these changes. My concern now is that when new role-players arrive in mesh bodies... Does using the old SL body deterred them from joining our communities? In essence... Are we truly "out-of-date?" Should we evolve with the new to attract more role-play?

I would love to hear what other's thoughts are on mesh bodies.

For those that are still unsure about how the appliers work... A great way to see them in action is to go to Belleza and pick up a developer's/creator's kit. The kit is 1 linden. Inside the kit is a test body to test appliers. Rez it on the ground. Find a freebie applier and try it out on the test body. Maitreya and Bellleza appliers have been the simplest to make so far. I recommend starting with those first. One script... one notecard... and one prim is all you need for them! Easy! You can make a more complex HUD later once you understand how they work.

Twelfth Night
@twelfth-night
8 years ago
221 posts

Yes! :)

I haven been pleasantly surprised though that the mesh gowns are improving. When I wear a gown designed for my Maitreya body... it fits like a glove. It is the standard mesh sizes now that can still be bulky looking on the avatar body.

Some of my dresses for the Route 66 collection will have Maitreya, Belleza, and Slink versions inside with the standard mesh sizes. When paired with their coordinated body... these versions fit perfect, Tia. So the bodies are definitely worth a demo. :) You will LOVE them!

Appliers fill the hole and demand for period clothing options until more mesh designers create accurate replicas of historical clothing. Specifically, historic gowns and clothing for these fit mesh bodies that fit our shapes. :)

Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

Really love seeing this. I wear my mesh body (I demo'd several and liked Maitreya best for myself, each has pros and cons AND you change it with your underlying shape) more and more, if I am in "modern" day I basically wear it all the time now, but I am still in system in period settings. But more and more it is becoming the norm across SL and if we want to welcome people into historical settings we will need to ensure they can find clothes that work with mesh bodies. This is going to be a big switch for creators, but IMO the nice thing is that appliers let you use system designs you've already worked up, the biggest thing is finding mesh skirts that will work with the designs (obviously I am speaking of women's clothing here). One you have the smoothness of that mesh body, there's just no way to go back to the system body! Congrats!

8 years ago
359 posts

I was about to post the following question and then realized the answer was in the link provided in MariaJosefa Baudin's response above:

"What about shoes? I purchased Slink feet for myself because I couldn't resist some shoes...if I went for a Maitreya body, would shoes bought for Slink feet work with it? or is it possible to wear Slink feet on the Maitreya body?"

The answer is that I can't wear the shoes directly on the body, but I can wear the feet, and hence may still wear the shoes while wearing the feet! Thank you for sharing that very useful chart, Mme. Baudin.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
8 years ago
264 posts

Size XS Slink feet (and hands) can be worn with the Maitreya body, how well they match will depend on the skill of your skin maker and on the windlight setting you choose. But I have a number of pre-mesh-body Slink shoes that I wear with my Maitreya body by wearing the Slink instead of Maitreya feet. A dirty little secret (shhhh!!!) is also that Slink's feet and hands are probably the prettiest out there ... one nice thing is that many creators are now including multiple items in a pack, two for the Slink bodies, three for the Belleza bodies, one for Maitreya, a general fit mesh, etc., or shoes for Slink, Maitreya, and Belleza (those are the big three).

Twelfth Night
@twelfth-night
8 years ago
221 posts

Yeps!

I have been loving the SHOES! :) I love that a lot of the shoe makers are including the Slink, Maitreya, and Belleza sizes together in one pack. Just like the mesh gowns. LOVE! wiggles happy toes :)))

fyi - My Rococo and Regency slippers fit the Maitreya flat and mid heel feet in the HUD. I just had to size them up a bit and angle them. I know you have some of my gowns already, Tia, so you can still wear the slippers.

Ekaterina Vorontsova-Dashkova
@ekaterina-vorontsova-dashkova
8 years ago
300 posts

Thanks for starting this very helpful thread, Twelfth!

I got the demos and will try out to buy one (although in terms of personal use I still feel skeptical due to how slowly it loads to other people and how laggy the viewer becomes). I am actually working on some gowns and what luck that you posted about mesh body appliers now so that I and other creators can seriously consider "upgrading" our stores and save trouble updating the gowns later ^^

Twelfth Night
@twelfth-night
8 years ago
221 posts

Yay! I am so happy you are looking into making them, too! Let me know when you have your first Maitreya done, please. :)

I understand your skepticism. I myself was skeptical about wearing one... but having worn it now for awhile I love it. I do experience some lag on overly crowded sims...but I am willing to wait a few minutes or relog when needed. With the appliers I feel covered and it does not bother me. I think the viewers and the technology will keep improving. At least we know if we hit a lag storm during a major event at court or a ball ... we always have our SL system shapes to fall back on. :) It shouldn't be much of a lag factor in smaller company.

I truly love the look of my system textures on the mesh body. I feel the mesh body holds the quality of the texture better. We always seem to lose some of the detail or a generation of quality when we apply them. Jacon told me my textures looked more vivid. I do see more detail and sharpness when compared with the old SL system body. When I made my appliers... I did have to fix the seams on the top of the shoulder a bit... just where the front of the top and back meet. It was an easy fix.

I agree with you that starting now will save us a lot of trouble updating later down the road. These mesh body creators send updates and keep improving. With the Bento Project coming soon with extra bones for the avatars in SL... we can expect more rigging and better performance. So I agree with you... Now is the time to start updating! :)

Here is some information on the Bento Project.

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Introducing-Proje...

Twelfth Night
@twelfth-night
8 years ago
221 posts

I totally agree, Frances. :) I am sold on them... it is hard to go back to the system body. I know these bodies will continue to improve in look and performance. I like that the creators send out updates.

Yes, I started thinking about new role-players coming to our sims. We have a few now in Antiquity that have mesh bodies and they didn't have anything to wear. They end up having to either give up the mesh body to participate or find something they are not completely happy with.

I love that we can use our old designs. I was starting to feel a bit confined or limited by the move towards mesh until I learned about appliers. I feel like I have the freedom to design what I want again. I can do appliers or I can do mesh gowns... I can be motivated by what sparks me. I have not always been happy with the mesh gown choices for period in the past. I know designers try so hard to get the gowns to be as accurate as possible within the confines or limitations of SL. This gives us some options and some creative freedom without the worry of feeling out-of-date... and hopefully will keep up our sales. So glad you posted! :)