Market
Donate to LHVW

[MODE] 3 new dresses.. 1890s!

MarieLouise Harcourt
@marielouise-harcourt
11 years ago
647 posts

I have not worked on dresses for quite some time, but I figured it was time to try some new things again! (My last dresses were those Renaissance dresses, I believe?). Alas, Ethel had me all to himself for a while, but the last few days he has been covered in ruffles, like myself! I think the 1890s is a interesting period in terms of fashion. The skirts are closer to the hips than in the previous decades, and a lot of emphasize (and mockery) is based on poofy sleeves, especially in the earlier years. Fashion is slightly less extravagant, but therefore not any less beautiful or luxurious! I have to say I had a lot of fun trying to play with clothes a bit again, and I think I will continue to do so, but for different time periods each time, because I like to learn new things, and share them with you guys!

Now, down to business. All gowns come for L$ 200, hats and kokoshniks are included, so are a matching pair of shoes. They are transferable, and can be bought on the SL Marketplace.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MODE-Russian-Court-Gown-Tatiana-2/5477098

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MODE-Evening-gown-Anastasia/5477103

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MODE-Day-dress-Olga/5477112

2696_discussions.png

2697_discussions.png

Now the following dress, the Tatiana (named after one of Nicolas II's daughters), I found a very interesting dress to make, because it was a dress I never heard of until I actually came across it doing some research for these new dresses! It was based on French fashions, and was also called the "Frenchified sarafan", the sarafan is a a traditional Russian dress. By a decree of Nicolas II in 1834 rules were set about this dress, regarding whom could wear which color, the length of the train etc. It would only be used for ceremonial functions, not balls or dinners.

However, what I found the most interesting was the Kokoshnik, which is traditional Russian headwear, and was usually worn with the previously mentioned sarafan! In all those beautiful pictures, we see the court gown accompanied by a beautiful tiara, and I was confused, as protocol prescribed a Kokoschnik! So, annoying as I am, haha, I mailed a expert and asked, who enligthened me, " The Kokoshnik is not defined by its materials, but by its shape. A kokoshnik's form does not change, though the materials of its construction may. A plain velvet Kokoshnik would have been just as acceptable at court as a massive tiara in the Kokoshnik shape. " Thanks to Nick Nicholoson for the help, I would suggest you take a look at some of the things he has done (I see he wrote a Pierre Gilliard biography), when you are interested. Married women had a veil to go with it, the Tatiana Kokoshnik comes both with and without veil.

2698_discussions.png

updated by @marielouise-harcourt: 15 Jan 2017 10:11:55AM
Leopoldina
@leopoldina
11 years ago
280 posts

I like the very early-1890's puffy sleeves of the first dresses(specially Anastasia), so cute!

But my favorite is the russian court dress, I love it <3

Ekaterina Vorontsova-Dashkova
@ekaterina-vorontsova-dashkova
11 years ago
300 posts

I really love them! Just when I was desperately trying to find some good 1890s dresses *though I'm still missing some warmer dresses~ ;P*

The court gown is really impressive but my favourite is the day dress Olga. Just look at that collar and ruffles *jumps around*

Thank you for creating such beautiful dresses, keep up the good work and release some more dresses(!!!) ^_^

Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
11 years ago
264 posts

YAY these are wonderful darling, thank you for the research and the hard work (and putting out "only" 3 ;) ). Looking forward to more!!

Lorsagne de Sade
@lorsagne-de-sade
11 years ago
313 posts

All three are fantastic, but Olga has stolen my heart!

Lady Bluebird of Orkney
@lady-bluebird-of-orkney
11 years ago
81 posts

Gorgeous! I'm pretty sure that the rules would not permit wearing the sarafin and kokoshnik as a house dress ensemble, but until I find a worthy ceremony, house dress it is! Just too wonderful not to wear. (Besides which, Nicholas II is not here to complain. I hope.)

Kristianna Fotherington
@kristianna-fotherington
11 years ago
25 posts

LOVE these!!! more, more!!!

Georgiana Fitzherbert Grace
@georgiana-fitzherbert-grace
11 years ago
95 posts
Ooohhh their gorgeous bravo I certainly love the 2nd one it's gorgeous! Well done!!
Joan Claremont
@joan-claremont
11 years ago
363 posts
Fantastic! The sarafin gown is so, so lovely. I really love this time period as well. Looking forward to seeing more! :)
MarieLouise Harcourt
@marielouise-harcourt
11 years ago
647 posts

Thank you all so much!

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
11 years ago
358 posts

Beautiful gowns ML :))

Lady Burnstein
@lady-burnstein
11 years ago
225 posts

Lovely dresses dear...<3

Lizbeth
@lizbeth
11 years ago
42 posts

oooh i wish they were mod so they could be shunk to fit!! i love these!

MarieLouise Harcourt
@marielouise-harcourt
11 years ago
647 posts
Well, if you would really like to have one, you can contact me and I will do my best to make it work! Is your shape Trans?