Living History
Donate to LHVW

What are you Reading?

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,894 posts

I'm always looking for reading suggestions so I thought it would be fun to make a list of books currently being read.

What are you reading now?

Continued in  What are you Reading? v2

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site

updated by @tatiana-dokuchic: 28 Apr 2019 01:15:57AM
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,894 posts

q?_encoding=UTF8&Format=_SL160_&ASIN=076793122X&MarketPlace=US&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&tag=tatstearoo-20&ServiceVersion=20070822 ir?t=tatstearoo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=076793122X&camp=217145&creative=399373

I just finished Dracula in Love ir?t=tatstearoo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=076793122X&camp=217145&creative=399373 by Karen Essex. It's the classic tale with a twist as it is told from Mina's perspective. I quite enjoyed it!

q?_encoding=UTF8&Format=_SL160_&ASIN=0425245136&MarketPlace=US&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&tag=tatstearoo-20&ServiceVersion=20070822 ir?t=tatstearoo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0425245136&camp=217145&creative=399373

I also managed to finish The Help ir?t=tatstearoo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0425245136&camp=217145&creative=399373 by Kathryn Stockett before the movie actually came out. I thought the book was great but I'm still undecided about seeing the movie.

--
Proprietress of Tatiana's Tea Room ~ Owner of the Provence Coeur Estate ~ Webmistress of this site
LouiseBathilde Sapphire
@louisebathilde-sapphire
13 years ago
100 posts
51JlXasWa7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
We Two, my Ex got me this book while we were together, almost read the entire thing, but i put it away for a bit, just got it back out today, i love this book!
Marie-Antoinette d'Autriche
@marie-antoinette-dautriche
13 years ago
43 posts

I'm rereading Marie-Antoinette by Hilaire Belloc. Written in 1909, it's nevertheless very compelling and, I think, informs my portrayal of her more than anything else. I keep looking for new books and information on her, but I think this bio - while very candid about her shortcomings, Belloc is nonetheless extremely sympathetic - comes closest to accurately describing her, herself, the world she lived in, and why things happened the way they happened. I have it on my Kindle, which is an easy way to get older books without having to order them, as long as the text file used is in good condition!

I also loved The Help; I read it while on vacation with my family and left it for my mother and sister to read. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie as the movie is told strictly from the point of view of Aibileen, the older maid. FYI. Also FYI: Myrlie Evars-Williams, Medgar Evars' widow, gave the film a thumbs-up at an NAACP screening (his murder is referenced in the novel). She's not Roger Ebert, but at least I'm not worried now about it being too "yay everything is all okay now".

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,894 posts
Sounds like something I would love. Thanks!

--
Joan Claremont
@joan-claremont
13 years ago
363 posts
I'm just about finished with the Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin. I have also been reading Apples by Frank Browning. He describes it as "a quirky piece of personal and agricultural storytelling." It's a good read for all you nerdy gardeners out there. If you have read any of Michael Pollan books you will enjoy this book. ;)
MariaAntonia Barenhaut
@margaret-maria-lady-verney
13 years ago
125 posts

1270_discussions.jpg

What else would I be reading? :P

This is probably the third time I've picked it up, considering how long it is I do tend to read it pretty quickly loI. I know it's ridiculously famous, but I can honestly say it is so well written, and really one of the best books I have ever read, because of the amount of detail in it - utterly fablous :P

Although I also adore the film, I think the book is so so much better

Anne, Comtesse de Noailles
@anne-comtesse-de-noailles
13 years ago
263 posts

419FDLSkRDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg Currently reading this less known work by Nitezsche, my favourite german philospher - interesting ideas about the origin of morality: On the genealogy of morality

6a7b9e15-742d-05bc-8d49-d8b5181b62bd.jpg "Und das ist Kunst!?" (And that is art?!) by a very brilliant feuillton journalist of the ZEIT magazine. It is a funny guide to the modern art scene - its failures, sicknesses and complexes.

yes i usually read several books simultaneously...I always have the feeling I am losing track!! :((

Nora Clementine Fernsby
@nora-clementine-fernsby
13 years ago
63 posts

I've just finished reading The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan. This is the story set in medieval times,and is about two thieves that have been framed with the murder of a king and the trials they must endure in order to clear their names. It has a bit of magic,romance,tragedy, and a whole lot of comedy(at least in my humble opinion). Seriously, this book IS more interesting than I've made it sound here.Check out the Amazon description for further information.Happy reading!!

51UA3HbFe-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Contessa Elena Marina Foscari
@contessa-elena-marina-foscari
13 years ago
49 posts

"Madame Pompadour" by Nancy Mitchell

very pleasant to read, and gives great insights to the personality of Louis the XVth, and to court life.

"Help" was great...I loved it and passed it onto my Mom who also loved it.

Sophia Trefusis
@sophia-trefusis
13 years ago
471 posts

519PQS5Wv1L.jpg?width=100

Working my way through this book It takes place in Russia during WWII and centers arounda girl (Tatiana) and a young man (Alexander) who meet and falls desperately in love.

The couple goes through many hardships (not to mention the siege of Leningrad) At times its a bit too hard to read on since so many awful things happen, so I am also re-reading another book.

78393.jpg?width=100

What it says on the cover ;) About royal mistresses.Its written ina very witty and funny way (some "facts" should be taken with a grain of salt though) Still doesnt take away from ones enjoyment in reading it

13 years ago
43 posts
Hee hee I was just eyeballing GWTW today, I will probably take it down once I feel better. I know I have read it all the way through, in a battered paperback, five times, as a teenager (because I put a mark inside the cover each time I did so), though lately I will read an eighth or a quarter at a time. It does read so fast, as it's hard to put down. The film was a great adaptation, but there is just so much in the book, it would have been hard to fit it all in, I know what you mean though. - Did I tell you I really liked "Rhett Butler's People"? It's a modern book, by which I mean as much by a modern novelist as GWTW was by a writer of Mitchell's time, but I think a very fascinating look at Butler and a good novel on its own.
Aimee Wheatcliffe
@aimee-wheatcliffe
13 years ago
51 posts

Gil_Blas_-_Germinal.jpg

Germinal (1885) is the thirteenth novel in mile Zola 's twenty-volume series Les Rougon-Macquart . Often considered Zola's masterpiece and one of the most significant novels in the French tradition, the novel an uncompromisingly harsh and realistic story of a coalminers' strike in northern France in the 1860s has been published and translated in over one hundred countries as well as inspiring five film adaptations and two television productions.

The title refers to the name of a month of the French Republican Calendar , a spring month. Germen is a Latin word which means "seed"; the novel describes the hope for a better future that seeds amongst the miners .

Germinal was written between April 1884 and January 1885. It was first serialized between November 1884 and February 1885 in the periodical Gil Blas , then in March 1885 published as a book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germinal_(novel)

I've read recently Germinal, by Emile Zola. Is one of the best books I've ever read. Is strong, tragic, shows everything around thedanger of minering on the Second Empire.The ending is tragic, but at the same time is filled with a hope for a new future. Like the author wrote: "the ancient world wants to live one more spring..."

Prince de Craon
@charles-juste-prince-de-beauveau-et-craon
13 years ago
47 posts

1271_discussions.jpg

I'm finnishing the "Quijote"...It's very funny and too long, a advantage, becase if you like que Quijote adventures "never" end. This is an edtion of the Royal Academy of the Spanish Languaje, with prologue of Mario Vargas-Llosa and Mart de Riquer.

My next book will be a work of the hispanist Hugh Thomas "The Spanish Empire of Carlos V".

13 years ago
43 posts

Ohhh with a prologue by Vargas-Llosa?? Did you like that?? I read an abridged Quijote in 5th year Espanol, besides enjoying the book it was very nice because I was able to read it without "translating" in my brain ... but as you know, that is a long time ago for me. ;) Bueno, maybe I should try to work back to that, no?

Catalina Méndez de Haro y Guzmán
@catalina-mendez-de-haro-y-guzman
13 years ago
15 posts
http://bks3.books.google.com/books?id=ECJbrVqRyK0C&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&edge=curl

I started reading during my holidays this wonderful book, La Verdadera Vida de Johann Sebastian Bach (The True Life of J.S Bach) by Klaus Eidam , with prologue by Enrique Martnez Miura. Another point of view to describe the life of this great composer, a biography based on reliable sources with interesting and odd anecdotes.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JR8BbtNqgN8/S9ma1_RRXaI/AAAAAAAAAAk/Vpb1YxI_dcQ/s1600/el+hereje.jpg

And I have just started reading this one: El Hereje (The Heretic) by Miguel Delibes , which I read about two years ago. In my opinion, one of the best works by this great spanish writer, who died recently in 2010. It's a historical novel, set in the city of Valladolid, during the Counter-Reformation, and it's very interesting how the writer raises issues as current as survival in a harsh and unfair world , and takes them to the past.

Henri Louis Marie de Rohan
@henri-louis-marie-de-rohan
13 years ago
192 posts
I just read Nana for the first time, it's really wonderful. I'm now intrigued to read more of the Rougon-Macquart saga.
13 years ago
192 posts

I have actually downloaded and started reading this:

http://www.archive.org/details/recollectionsofl00lorich

The Memoirs of Leonard Autie. An amazingly modern read!

I'm also re-reading Dancing To The Prepice: Lucie de la Tour du Pin and the French Revolution by Caroline Moorhead.

dancing-precipice-moorehead-caroline-paperback-cover-art.jpg

A wonderful book.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,894 posts

q?_encoding=UTF8&Format=_SL160_&ASIN=0553801473&MarketPlace=US&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&tag=tatstearoo-20&ServiceVersion=20070822 ir?t=tatstearoo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0553801473&camp=217145&creative=399373

I just finished A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five ir?t=tatstearoo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0553801473&camp=217145&creative=399373 myself having started the series earlier this year on the recommendation of a friend. All I have to say is GRRM better not die before finishing the last two books of the series ;)

--
Lady Bluebird of Orkney
@lady-bluebird-of-orkney
13 years ago
81 posts

This has been such an interesting thread -- many thanks, Tatiana!

1272_discussions.jpg

I've just begun An Eighteenth Century Marquise: A Study of Emilie du Chtelet by Frank Hamel. This is one of the classic biographies of this remarkable mathematician and lover of Voltaire -- a work old enough (1911) to public domain and formatted for Kindle ( http://www.archive.org/stream/eighteenthcentur01hame#page/n5/mode/2up )

I'm also part of the group that has several reads going at once, and I've been rereading T.H. White's The Once and Future King.

And I'm just back from a trip during which I listened to the audio version of The Help . For me audiobooks are generally a last resort, only for traveling, but I would recommend this to anyone. It has an ensemble cast of readers that I thought was marvelous.

Candace Ducatillon
@candace-ducatillon
13 years ago
204 posts

The Last Great Dance on Earth, by Sandra Gulland

This final installment in a trilogy, follows Josephine from the early years of Napoleon's era as First Consul of France, through their coronation as Emperor and Empress, their divorce, and final years. Being written as Josephine's diary, it evokes a personal sharing of her thoughts, and makes for an entertaining, enthralling, and educational read I have most enjoyed these past few weeks.

MariaAntonia Barenhaut
13 years ago
125 posts
:O I loved that series! I was rather gutted there was only three episodes though - must get this book!!
Aimee Wheatcliffe
@aimee-wheatcliffe
13 years ago
51 posts
Nana, The encarnation of the empire on all his beauty, his rise, his tragedy and his fall. The ending impress for the two deaths that can be read on the end.
Aimee Wheatcliffe
@aimee-wheatcliffe
13 years ago
51 posts
It has been qualified like "El libro de caballeras que puso fin a todos los libros de caballeras/The book of cavalries thatend to all the books of cavalries". Is really funny, Sancho Panza is one of my heroes!
13 years ago
43 posts
Oooohh I need to read this, I just read Mme la Marquise's memoirs in June. Thank you for the recommendation.
Belladonna Ohare
@belladonna-ohare
13 years ago
52 posts

MA,

GWTW has been favorite book since I was 12 and first read it. I have since read it nearly every year.I still discover new things about my dear Scarlett and her world. I live only about100 miles from Clayton County and Atlanta, Georgia. Scarlett is without a doubtthe greatest heroine (and YES, she is a heroine par excellence!) in all of literature and I am not just saying that because I too am a Southern Belle.

Anyone who has not read this masterpiece of literature is truly missing out an enchanting world of gracious ladies and dashing gentlemen set in a world now gone with the wind!

Anne, Comtesse de Noailles
@anne-comtesse-de-noailles
13 years ago
263 posts
she is gifted and amazing indeed!! :-)
HRM August Florian
@hrm-august-florian
13 years ago
4 posts
At present I am engaged in Elizabeth I by Margaret George. A fascinating and VERY well written peice of historical fiction. All of the characters and events are quite well documented, the only embelishments are the interpersonal conversations that occur. Well worth the time and effort.
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,894 posts

That's interesting!

I've read & enjoyed The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers ir?t=tatstearoo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0312194390&camp=217145&creative=399369 , Mary Queen of Scotland & The Isles: A Novel ir?t=tatstearoo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0312155859&camp=217145&creative=399369 and The Memoirs of Cleopatra: A Novel ir?t=tatstearoo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B005DI6SUK&camp=217145&creative=399373 by Margaret George but I didn't know that she had written Elizabeth I. I will be adding it to my list for certain. Thanks!

q?_encoding=UTF8&Format=_SL160_&ASIN=0312194390&MarketPlace=US&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&tag=tatstearoo-20&ServiceVersion=20070822 ir?t=tatstearoo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0312194390&camp=217145&creative=399369 q?_encoding=UTF8&Format=_SL160_&ASIN=0312155859&MarketPlace=US&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&tag=tatstearoo-20&ServiceVersion=20070822 q?_encoding=UTF8&Format=_SL160_&ASIN=B005DI6SUK&MarketPlace=US&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&tag=tatstearoo-20&ServiceVersion=20070822

ir?t=tatstearoo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0312155859&camp=217145&creative=399369
ir?t=tatstearoo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B005DI6SUK&camp=217145&creative=399373

--
Madame Desireme Fallen
@madame-desireme-fallen
13 years ago
110 posts

cover_us.gif

I am reading Eleanor Herman's Sex with Kings .....excellent and humourousinsight on the very human behavior of the Kings of Europe across the centuries, ebook on my Nookcolor.

Madame Desireme Fallen
@madame-desireme-fallen
13 years ago
110 posts
I ABSOLUTELY enjoyed the movie version. The book gives more details, but the movie will bring them to LIFE in a way you would most definitely enjoy! Do see the movie...it is one of the best!
13 years ago
192 posts
especially as there's a picture of you on the cover it seems darling wifey!
Docteur Panacek
@docteur-panacek
13 years ago
69 posts

Well, since my teens i am a hard-core science fiction fan (Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Philip K. Dick, Ursula K. Le Guin, Aldous Huxley, Frank Herbert etc...). I know not many people appreciate this genre, but i am addicted lol.

What attracts me is the fact that they all start with an idea, and try to work it out like its reality. And most of all i love that they think about all the possible consequences and moral implications of new inventions or technology.

Some of those authors are true visionaries. Lots of the technology they described later became reality in some way or another. The Virtual Worlds we explore are already a form of Sci-Fi that came true...

(And yes i have also read my classics, like Verne, Shelley and Wells hehe)

Right now i am reading the first Sci-Fi book written by one of my actual favorite German Authors Marcus Heitz.

1273_discussions.jpg

The earth has been reduced to one pile of junk, humanity has taken his problems with him into the galaxy, and then they get in touch with a new mysterious alien race called "the collectors..." Guess what they are gonna collect....

Lord Myron de Verne
@lord-myron-de-verne
13 years ago
113 posts
I have been trying hard to read Proust " La Recherche", butI had to give up after 1233 pages, so I am afraid I'll never know who's the murderer.
Lord Myron de Verne
@lord-myron-de-verne
13 years ago
113 posts

No, more seriously, I have been reading "84 Charing Cross Road", by Helen Hanff, "Dusk and other stories", by James Salter, and, closer to our range of interest here, re-reading the magical "Seven Gothic Tales", by Isak Dinesen-Karen Blixen. In French, I read the "Lettres de Mademoiselle Ass": she was a "Circassienne" ( name that was given in Europe to any girl who would have formerly called Greek, then under Ottoman power) and shehad been captured when she was four years old by turkish pirates to be a slave.She was bought to them by the French Ambassador in Istanbul, Monsieur de Ferriol, and brought up in France as a young Lady of the Nobility during the Regency period (between Louis XIV and Louis XV). Unfortunately, her letters do NOT AT ALL mention this adventurous and romantic beginning of her life:I wouldnot recommend reading them except for a " completist" reader of French memoires or letters of these times.Probably her biography would be more interesting, if anyone could find it.

I have begun now a book of extracts of the "Fragments de l'Histoire de ma Vie", by Le Prince de Ligne. This compatriot of Dr Pekel Panacek was one of the most famous, celebrated and cherished aristocrats of all Europe during the late 18th Century. His writing ( all in French, though he was servingin Austrian Army)is lively and elegant, about as many matters as you can imagine: war and women, gardening and arts, etc...) I hope to read more from him, if not everything- it amounts to thousands of pages, gee, they had time to read and write in those days...)

Lord Myron de Verne
@lord-myron-de-verne
13 years ago
113 posts

Allow me to correct my own mistake, with apologies to all Circassians online: Circassie was not Greece ( where did I get that?) but a part of Caucase.

ss was the french spelling for Acha, I suppose.

Lord Myron de Verne
@lord-myron-de-verne
13 years ago
113 posts

Maybe you - and I- should attempt to read Louis Sebastien Mercier's " L'an 2440, Rve s'il en fut Jamais",

( "The Year 2440, A Dream if there ever was One"), written in 1771. It is the first acknowledged example of Uchronia, and was a huge bestseller in all Europe. More on the philosophical and political side, though, than sci-fi as we know it now).

Renonys d'Aquitaine
@renonys-daquitaine
13 years ago
46 posts

I am reading "Seventh Son" by Orson Scott Card.

Seventh Son (1987) is an alternate history/fantasy novel by Orson Scott Card. It is the first book in Card's The Tales of Alvin Maker series and is about Alvin Miller, the Seventh son of a seventh son. Seventh Son won a Locus Award and was nominated for both the Hugo and World Fantasy Awards in 1988. Seventh sons have strong "knacks" (specific magical abilities), and seventh sons of seventh sons are both extraordinarily rare and powerful. In fact, young Alvin appears to be the only one in the world. His abilities make him the target of The Unmaker, who recognizes Alvin's powers as those of a Makeronly the second ever, and it had been a long time since the first had walked on water and turned water to wine. The Unmaker works largely through water, trying to kill Alvin in his early years, before he can master his abilities.

available from Amazon.com OR advanced book exchange

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,894 posts

I've just finishedthe New York Times bestseller The Magicians: A Novel ir?t=widgetsamazon-20&l=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=0452296293 and it's followup The Magician King: A Novel ir?t=widgetsamazon-20&l=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=0670022314 by Lev Grossman .

If you like fantasy & magic, these books will probably appeal to you as theyare sometimes referred to as "Harry Potter for adults". Grossman has a great "turn of phrase" and I really enjoyed his contemporary references. I am hoping that there will bemore in the series!

The Magicians: A Novel ir?t=widgetsamazon-20&l=bil&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=0452296293 The Magician King: A Novel
ir?t=widgetsamazon-20&l=bil&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=0670022314
ir?t=widgetsamazon-20&l=bil&camp=213689&creative=392969&o=1&a=0670022314

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,894 posts
Wow - I can't imagine being stuck to the spot because of my outfit. Talk about suffering for fashion!!

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,894 posts
If you're looking for an antidote to "damsel in distress-ites" check out The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins . I just finished these adventures of Katniss Everdeenin her post-apocalyptic world and really enjoyed them. Of course, I'm also a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer so that may be why :))

q?_encoding=UTF8&Format=_SL160_&ASIN=0439023521&MarketPlace=US&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&tag=tatstearoo-20&ServiceVersion=20070822 ir?t=tatstearoo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0439023521&camp=217145&creative=399369 q?_encoding=UTF8&Format=_SL160_&ASIN=0439023491&MarketPlace=US&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&tag=tatstearoo-20&ServiceVersion=20070822 ir?t=tatstearoo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0439023491&camp=217145&creative=399369 q?_encoding=UTF8&Format=_SL160_&ASIN=0439023513&MarketPlace=US&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&tag=tatstearoo-20&ServiceVersion=20070822 ir?t=tatstearoo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0439023513&camp=217145&creative=399369

--
Ephe Luik
@ephe-luik
13 years ago
169 posts

Just read Biomimicry - Inspired by Nature, this incredible book is about a science that can save our planet and solve problems like nature does.

Biomimicry

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,894 posts

Just finished reading Elizabeth I by Margaret George and Itoo found itvery well written.

I do wish we could have had more of Elizabeth's early life included in it as I find her early struggles fascinating.

--
Marie Gerje2
@marie-gerje2
13 years ago
3 posts

Have been picking this one up every now and then. The stories are so short, I can read one a night!

Jane Austen Made Me Do It: Original Stories Inspired by Literature'... by Laurel Ann Nattress

1274_discussions.jpg

Joan Claremont
@joan-claremont
13 years ago
363 posts
Wow you must be a speed reader! These look like a good read. I'll have to check them out. ;)
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
13 years ago
1,894 posts

I do read pretty quickly but these two are also quite "bite sized" :)) I'm impatiently waiting for the third book now.

--
Cherish Carver
@cherish-carver
13 years ago
47 posts
The movie is all right.Not as good as the book though.
Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
13 years ago
358 posts

Read this as well and really liked it, although I wish she had done chapters on the ladies instead of jumping around so much...really is a good book :)

Prince de Craon
@charles-juste-prince-de-beauveau-et-craon
13 years ago
47 posts

More than one thousand pages of POSTWAR. By Tony Judt. Let me recomend you this book!!

1275_discussions.jpg

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
12 years ago
358 posts

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Just started reading it, so far so good :-)

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,894 posts

Just finished The Passage: A Novel by Justin Cronin.

Wow - this one's a page turner for sure!! I got a lot less sleep because I just had to read one more chapter for before turning in for the night.

It begins in 2018 asall hell breaks loose when a human engineered virus turns the majority of the population into vampires (and not the Edward & Bella kind). It then fast forwards 100 years to the post-apocalyptic world where the remaining humans are trying to survive.

It's the first book of a trilogy with the second installment due this year (2012).

q?_encoding=UTF8&Format=_SL160_&ASIN=0345504976&MarketPlace=US&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&tag=tatstearoo-20&ServiceVersion=20070822

--
Lady Hartfield
@lady-hartfield
12 years ago
264 posts

"a human engineered virus turns the majority of the population into vampires (and not the Edward & Bella kind)"

You made me LOL. <3

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,894 posts

Hehehe ... though some people might think that a world full of Edwards and Bellas was the real nightmare ;)

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,894 posts

Just finished Death Comes to Pemberley by P. D. James.

q?_encoding=UTF8&Format=_SL160_&ASIN=0307959856&MarketPlace=US&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&tag=tatstearoo-20&ServiceVersion=20070822

If you've ever wondered what happens to Elizabeth & Darcy after you leave them in Jane Austens Pride and Prejudice, this is a good one for you. Of course it doesn't hold a candle to P & P but it was kind of a nice way to catch up with old friends.

--
Lady Bluebird of Orkney
@lady-bluebird-of-orkney
12 years ago
81 posts

This is the first Austen-esque sequel I've ever managed to finish (and I have tried a number). P.D. James doesn't pretend she's Austen. It's a conscious homage -- sprinkled with phrases from Austen's works that she knows readers will recognize as such. She's reasonably true to Austen's perspective and characters, and I thought it was a good read, even though clearly not a story that Jane Austen would have written. Two (appropriately gloved) pinkies up!

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,894 posts

Good to know!

This is the first time I've tried an Austen sequel and the first time I've read P. D. James so I didn't know quite what to expect. I agree with you, it was a good read :)

p.s. Love the pinkies :))

--
MariaAntonia Barenhaut
12 years ago
125 posts

With regards to my current Victoria-philia, or whatever you wish to call it, I am currently reading two books -

I'm usually not capable of reading two books, but they are both very different, yet about the same person

6300450-L.jpg

This is a biography about the life of Queen Victoria. This one is unique in that it is split specifically into two sections. The first begins with the story of George IV the Prince Regent, and his estranged wife Caroline of Brunswick. Though the main focus is on their only daughter, Princess Charlotte, who is groomed to become Queen. She marries Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, who would later become King of the Belgians, though unfortunately she dies in childbirth, along with her child. This leaves the crown without an heir, and so their is a race amongst the brothers of the Regent, to produce a child.

This is where Victoria steps in, as the Duke of Kent is the only one to have a daughter with his new German wife. It then goes into the early reign of Queen Victoria, which those of you who have seen 'The Young Victoria' will be familiar with, but those who haven't probably will not be familiar with the early reign of Victoria.

415PP8KCF5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The next book is a rare one, as far as I'm aware (and I hope it's rare as it's wasn't cheap lol) but this book I enjoy dipping into a lot. It is a compilation of excerpts taken from her diary, which she began to write from an early age. It really reveals a lot about her character, as she was a fascinating person.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,894 posts

Thanks for the references. I'm going to have to read more about Victoria!!

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,894 posts

Sounds interesting and those love spells are just in time for Valentine's Day ;) Thanks for sharing it!

--
Renonys d'Aquitaine
@renonys-daquitaine
12 years ago
46 posts

I just finished reading Muchacho, by Louanne Johnson. Ms Johnson is the author and writer of the movie Dangerous Minds. This is a nice must-read for anyone in the education field or in a related field. I finished it three days ago and am still thinking about it.

From amazon review:

Eddie Corazon is a character who you won't soon forget.

He lives in a world where being a bad boy is the cool thing to do. He hangs out with his cousins in a bad neighborhood, and the boys are just on the edge of being juvenile delinquents. He skips school and gets poor grades as a matter of choice, but he is a secret reader, and poet. He has promised his Mami that he won't drop out of school, but he's pretty sure he will fail.

Then he meets Lupe, and his world changes. She brings out the best in Eddie, and sees things in him that he doesn't. Her father is none too happy about their relationship; he wants more for his smart, energetic daughter. Eddie doesn't seem to have a very bright future the way he is going, but then he begins to think like Lupe. Maybe he could make the future work for him, too.

It's hard to make changes in his behavior with his cousins and friends encouraging him to follow their lead...but Eddie really wants to be able to hang out with the beautiful, smart Lupe.

Eddie's transition is a very moving story with complex characters in a tough world. It shows that positive changes can be made through hard work and perseverance, and that the bad choices are tempting, but conquerable. The story is narrated by Eddie with straight-forward language and a viewpoint all his own, by turns funny and serious. Eddie is a boy who girls will fall in love with, and a guy boys will be able to relate to.

Highly recommended for even reluctant readers.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,894 posts

I've just finished Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie and I have to say it's probably one of the best biographies I've read in a long time. Massie seems to have magically transformed material that could have been very heavy reading into something quite light that was easy to breeze through. She certainly was a remarkable woman!!

I remember thinking that his Peter the Great (for which he won the Pulitzer Prize) was a bit tough so perhaps this is easier because I have a better understanding of the times which included Empress Maria Theresa of Austria, Marie Antoinette etc.

q?_encoding=UTF8&Format=_SL160_&ASIN=0679456724&MarketPlace=US&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&tag=tatstearoo-20&ServiceVersion=20070822 q?_encoding=UTF8&Format=_SL160_&ASIN=0345336194&MarketPlace=US&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&tag=tatstearoo-20&ServiceVersion=20070822

I'm now moving on to Nicholas and Alexandra: The Classic Account of the Fall of the Romanov Dynasty though I'm really not looking forward to the ending of it.

q?_encoding=UTF8&Format=_SL160_&ASIN=0345438310&MarketPlace=US&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&tag=tatstearoo-20&ServiceVersion=20070822

--
Charles XIII of Sweden
@charles-xiii-of-sweden
12 years ago
1 posts

Great topic! After reviewing all of the suggestions, I've ordered Don Quijote (intro by Vargas-Llosa!) and A Song of Ice and Fire, Books 1-4 (I hope to get to book 5, Tatiana :).

I just finished reading two books. The first is "As barbas do imperador: D. Pedro II, um monarca nos trpicos" in Portuguese. The English version is called "T he Emperor's Beard: Dom Pedro II and His Tropical Monarchy in Brazil " and is available on Amazon .

1277_discussions.jpg It is an interesting and fascinating biography of the Pedro II, the second emperor of Brazil: the Braganza/Hapsburg monarch of the only independent monarchy in the Americas. It is a remarkable story of a boy who became emperor and his strong sense of duty and devotion toward his country and his people. The book is very well written and illustrated, and gives an in-depth look into his life, rule and legacy. His 58 year-reign led Brazil into a golden-age, as he developed his country into an emerging power, fought several successful wars, expanded and consolidated the country's borders and abolished slavery. His reputation has lasted to the present day and he is usually ranked as the greatest Brazilian (even after 122 years of republican rule).

The second book I have just finished reading is called: "1808: Como Uma Rainha Louca, Um Prncipe Medroso E Uma Corte Corrupta Enganaram Napoleo E Mudaram A Histria De Portugal E Do Brasil ", lit. "1808: How a crazy Queen, a coward Prince and a corrupt Court fooled Napoleon and changed the histories of Portugal and Brazil". I'm not sure there is an English version of this one, although it would be worth looking. Laurentino Gomes, one of the greatest historians in Brazil, managed to give a comic, yet true, account of the transfer of the Portuguese court to Brazil in 1808, and the bizarre life of the Portuguese royal family. A very light read.

1278_discussions.jpg

Lord Myron de Verne
@lord-myron-de-verne
12 years ago
113 posts

Most books mentioned here are biographies, novellized or not, or novels....Following Melioria's invite, I am now re-reading "The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy", unfortunately in a French translation which does not pay full justice to Sterne's choice of words, and no justice at all tohisamazing typographical invention. This book is an UFO! and remains such after two centuries and a half....and it is the absolute contrary or denial of biographies and "story-telling" ! There's food in it for other generations of litterate readers as well, andphilosophical humour mixed with anallegria in its writing impetus, that make it hilarious at times (though, I must admit, boring in some parts...) I hope I will have the courage and time to be able to finish it this time :-).

I wonder what is the status of this book in other parts of the world, mainly in English -speaking countries,and I am curious about it: is it considered a classic? studied in school, or only in universities? or, according to Mark Twain's definition of a classic: " a book which everyone would like to have read, but which nobody wants to read" ?

In France, it is not well-known at all, and rather considered as a " cult" book among the litterate " happy Few", but no more. A few months ago, I read Diderot's " Jacques le Fataliste" and it bears some resemblance with T.S., in so far as they both try to fill their book with life in a completely new manner, avoiding traditional narrative methods of story-telling. I finished " Jacques le Fataliste", it'sshorter:-)

Lady Bluebird of Orkney
@lady-bluebird-of-orkney
12 years ago
81 posts

I know I read Tristram Shandy in college, in an upper-level18th century British literature course. I don't really inhabit English departments anymore, but I suspect that T.S. is rarely read outside of upper-level university courses -- not in English literature survey courses and not in secondary schools. I must confess that I remember very little about it (perhaps I am overly plot-oriented). I hope to make the discussion in Melioria (and what a wonderful idea!), but I think I will have to do some massive review before then.

Lord Myron de Verne
@lord-myron-de-verne
12 years ago
113 posts

Thank you, Milady, for this answer to my queries... I am grateful to have the opportunity, years after my first hesitant reading, to re-discover this 'one-of- a- kind' book through SL!

I hope to be able to join the discussion and meet you in Melioria:-)

Georgiana Fitzherbert Grace
@georgiana-fitzherbert-grace
12 years ago
95 posts

The Help

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
12 years ago
358 posts

Free ebooks website that someone told me about in SL and thought I would pass it along :))

http://manybooks.net/

Enjoy and Cheers everyone :D

Marie-Amelie de Tancarville
@marie-amelie-de-tancarville
12 years ago
65 posts

The dredsen files (currently on 'dead beat') super recomended. x

Also in the progress/awaiting books from the series of ; the morganvile vampires, sookie stackhouse series, house of night :-)

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
12 years ago
1,894 posts

Just finished The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones.

For some reason I thought it was going to be like Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Iwas expecting to proceed at a rather leisurely pace wandering dream-like through the story from "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again" to "And the ashes blew towards us with the salt wind of the sea". Instead I ended up blasting through this page-turner, anxious to see how things developed& surprised that the characters weren't behaving at all as I assumed they would.

Here's my review: The Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones

--
Ekaterina Vorontsova-Dashkova
@ekaterina-vorontsova-dashkova
12 years ago
300 posts

Oh, I heard of "Dracula in Love". I hope I'll get hold of it to read as it's not easy to buy books in English that all of us enjoy in both Russia and Vietnam. Do you know if I can get it in Switzerland or Greece perhaps (I'm going to Switzerland and mostly Italy again as well)?

12 years ago
300 posts

I like the sound of it. The topic of queen Vicktoria and prince Albert is really moving.~ :3

12 years ago
300 posts

Thanks a lot, Leena! It's really big help~~ <3

12 years ago
300 posts

Indeed, as a lot of Russians were superstitious at that time and the previous centuries, the reign of Nicolas II was not "right" since the beginning. Both Nicolas and Alexandra were loving and caring, really good parents but still as the Successor to the throne, Nicolas never wanted power of the emperor. Besides, he was not a really good politic. :<

P.S. Sorry, if I talk a lot about the Russian culture, history etc. don't be too surprised. Even though I'm Vietnamese, I studied in Russian school so I have Russian education (to tell you the truth I don't know really a lot about Vietnamese history... or hymn o.o). ^_^

12 years ago
300 posts

Wah! THat must be really interesting, I should look into that book

Anne-Sophie writes yet another title of a book into her notebook :P

12 years ago
300 posts

Oh, oh, I heard of that one. It does sound captivating from the description :)

12 years ago
300 posts

oops, my bad: *Nicholas

Rafaela de Palafox y Croy-Havre
@rafaela-de-palafox-y-croy-havre
12 years ago
33 posts

I am charmed with this topic, perfectly to take ideas for near readings during the summer, nowadays I am reading "the Charterhouse of parma", a book full of adventures, loves during the French occupation in parma at the end of the century xviii, this book is a classic of Stendhal but that I found accidentally in a street market of ancient books.1279_discussions.jpg

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
12 years ago
358 posts

Just finished this novel ... it was a really good read :)

1280_discussions.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/The-Devils-Company-A-Novel/dp/1400064198#_

Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
12 years ago
358 posts

It's a really great website, glad you like :))

Leopoldina
@leopoldina
12 years ago
280 posts

Currently,I am reading these books:

livro_1822.jpg

1822:About Brazil's independence and first reining(1822-1831).Its been a while since I don't read it... :p

cia_letras_barbas_imperador.jpg

As Barbas do Imperador(The Emperor's beard): Its like an essay,a really long book about the second reining of the Empire of Brazil,focusing on the emperor D. Pedro II,but comprising a lot of other topics.It isavailablein english also.

3713594587.jpg?width=300

Georgiana,Duchess of Devonshire: a biography of Lady Georgiana.I am finding it veryinterestingbut I think the phases of her life pass too quickly during the reading,I wish the book was longer,so each phase could be more detailed.

I did not finished reading any of those btw.

Its been a while since I finished it,but I wouldrecommendthis one:

6263290-M.jpg

It is about Marie There Charlotte,it covers her whole life,from childhood to the last exile.I find the changes of her appearance and personality during the reading extraordinary.

HRM August Florian
@hrm-august-florian
12 years ago
4 posts

Before Versailles by Karleen Koen. Another work of grand historical fiction dealing with the events that ocured between May 1661 and Sept 1661 when a 22 year old, sensitve, hoplessly ro

mantic, elegant Louis XIV was forced to make a profound choice. A life of obscurity controlled by his Superintendant of Finance, The Vicomte Nicholas. Or sacrifice his body heart and soul to sieze all that was his by birth, right, and the will of the divine. A fascinting look into the court and intrgues of Louis XIV and what he gave up to become the model for every other crowned head in Europe.

HRM August Florian
@hrm-august-florian
12 years ago
4 posts

You must let me know if it is worth reading. Sounds fascinating. Two of my favorite things, a good murder and Le Roi Soleil

Lady Bluebird of Orkney
@lady-bluebird-of-orkney
12 years ago
81 posts

For those who read French and are interested in 18th century law & justice -- La Grce du roi: Les lettres de clmence de la Grande Chancellerie au xviii sicleby Abad Reynald (2011). The book not only explains the process and power of pardon as exercised by Louis XV and Louis VI, it presents the stories of the crimes and convictions for which the pardons were sought, from the Marquis de Sade to a young domestic servant convicted of theft who was championed by Queen Marie Leczinka. The book is not light reading, but the stories are fascinating.

HRM August Florian
@hrm-august-florian
11 years ago
4 posts

At present, I am rereading the Sun King. An obscure out of print book that I happened, to my delight to discover in an antique book store. The author used here maid name to pen it, and that is Nancy Mitford, for those who are unaware she is the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire, thus she had total access the vast libraries at Chatsworth. The book follows the reign of Le Roi Soleil from the moment he decided to trans form a small hunting lodge to the grandest palace is europe. It can be heavy reading, but paints a true and accurate portrait of life at Versailles in its golden age, including the personal distaste the King had for many nobles that the King thought were less than noble. Including the House of Noailles

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Wow - what a find!

Sounds like a fascinating read.

Thanks for telling us about it.

--
RIP Lady Olivia
@lady-olivia-chapman-deceased
11 years ago
17 posts

I'm re-reading The VIG, written by someone I used to work with. His next novel (the sequel) is due out in just under a month, so I want to re-familiarize myself with the characters. It's a good read; suspense.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Vig-John-M-Nuckel/dp/1466385340/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380420604&sr=8-1&keywords=the+vig%2C+john+m.+nuckel

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Very cool to have that personal connection to the author.

--
Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
11 years ago
359 posts

I have just finished reading, in reverse order (the sequence in which I found them at my local second hand bookstore!) three of the first four volumes of a really absorbing series by Barbara Hambly: A Free Man of Color , Graveyard Dust , and Sold Down the River (diligently seeking the second book, Fever Season , now - I may have to break down and turn to Amazon!)

The books take place in the 1830's in New Orleans and the surrounding bayous, and feature as the main character Benjamin Janvier, or January, a well-educated francophone "free man of color" who must negotiate the growing injustices of a New Orleans in transition from French to American domination, marked by increasing curtailment of rights, security and general respect for the so-called "colored" (genetically mixed) population of Louisiana that accompanied the generation-long evolution from Creole to "Kaintuck" (upriver American) dominance. Because the books are mysteries, we gain particular insight into the changing role of the criminal justice system in the abuse of racial minorities in the decades that followed the Louisiana Purchase and the War of 1812, but the author explores a wide range of the issues of the times.

Barbara Hambly is known for her works of fantasy, which I've also read and enjoyed, but this series absorbs me and broadens my historical insight in a way that leads me to believe this is the series she was always meant to write. I can't believe I didn't stumble on it until this year; Free Man of Color came out in 1997.

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Lady Bluebird of Orkney
@lady-bluebird-of-orkney
11 years ago
81 posts

Sounds absolutely fascinating. And I just noticed that Amazon (sorry Tiamat - I feel your pain) has Fever Season available in Kindle format for $5.99 . . . .

RIP Lady Olivia
@lady-olivia-chapman-deceased
11 years ago
17 posts

It is! I'm going to a book reading of his next month, and to mingle with a bunch of former colleagues. It should be lots of fun :)

Lady Bluebird of Orkney
@lady-bluebird-of-orkney
11 years ago
81 posts

I am currently re-reading Tom Jones by Henry Fielding (in preparation for the discussion at Rocca Sorrentina). I remembered it (required reading in some college class) as a series of meaningless adventures involving a lot of romping in bed. After plowing through the text, I had no particular desire to pick it up again, and I'm not sure I ever bothered even to watch the film (starring Albert Finney), which is supposed to be quite fun.

I have been amazed to find how much more I am enjoying it now. The female characters are more significant and more complex than I remembered, and I have especially appreciated the commentary about writing that Fielding has interspersed throughout the work. I may even dig up the film version!

If anyone is interested, a free download is available at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6593

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT52VBVw8PvAHHJ6bRpFsjxJstlTb50zqYaSo5P0pUEhHGDRsTJXQ

Joan Claremont
@joan-claremont
11 years ago
363 posts

I'm reading Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail byCheryl Strayed. It's about the life of a young woman hiking the Pacific Crest Trail alone in the 90's. It's been a great Summer read and it's something I've always wanted to do (not the whole trail but a part of it would be fun.)

1281_discussions.jpg?width=400

Candace Ducatillon
@candace-ducatillon
11 years ago
204 posts

I did recently watch the Tom Jones film with Albert Finney, and, as expected, Ifound itquiteenjoyable Lady Bluebird. If only I could manage to fit my reading in a two-hour time span!

Jane Ixtar
@jane-ixtar
11 years ago
115 posts

I yearn for a translation.

Marie-Adélina de La Ferrière
@marie-adelina-de-la-ferriere
11 years ago
80 posts
Right now I'm reading a series of books (for my thesis), but the ones that have been 'enjoyable' were Beauty, Sex & Power: A Story of Debauchery and Decadent Art at the Late Stuart Court and In Fine Style: The Art of Tudor and Stuart Fashion. Although my paper is really looking at several categories of items in the Royal Collection (and other museum collections), I really like the way monarchs and nobles 'performed' through imagery.
Leandro Rinaldo Malaspina
@leandro-rinaldo-malaspina
11 years ago
12 posts

1282_discussions.jpg?width=200
VERY interesting essay, with a wide analysis of the phenomenon during the 18th Century and a good nice esoteric view. Don't know if it's translated in English, author (Fabio Venzi) is renown in this field and had rewards in different countries so probably it is.

1284_discussions.jpg?width=150

For 18th Century addicted (like me lol) I highly suggest another essay, really really complete and detailed about the French Revolution (you even find the statistics about weddings, amount of bread bought, etc in the various years of the Revolution :O). I read dozens of books about the Revolution but this one was probably the best, and I think really enjoyable (if you can overlook some political considerations, a bit excessive like that the French Revolution was absolutely the starting point of communism and the annoying tendency of the author in some parts of the book to interpret history with modenr eyes).

1285_discussions.jpg?width=150

It's a while I don't read novels, but there is one that bewitched me, wich is this one. Absolutely unique, surreal, magical and with a tasty victorian touch. Simply wonderful.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Thanks for the recommendations, Leandro.

I'll be learning more about the French Revolution.

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

As I've told you before, great topic for a thesis!

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm going to have to take a look.

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
11 years ago
1,894 posts

Sounds like it would make a great winter read as well.

We've had a few series run in our local paper of people that have hiked different trails around the world and the journey is always fascinating (except for the parts about the huge blisters & the inevitable hallucinations - lol).

--
Lady Leena Fandango
@lady-leena-fandango
9 years ago
358 posts

Reviving an older thread :)

Currently reading The Scarlet Pimpernel. It's a very good read, first time for me.

1286_discussions.jpg

9 years ago
300 posts

I must say, I'm REALLY enjoying the BBC adoptation of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. And I really WISH I could buy the book and bring it with me during the summer but alas it's too big to fit in my luggage/backpack :-/

9 years ago
300 posts

I have recently finished reading The Miniaturist - a debut novel by Jessie Burton. It's quite interesting... Though I think I'll need to re-read it to understand it more properly. Nonetheless, a good read on the road for sure ^^

1287_discussions.jpg

Leopoldina
@leopoldina
9 years ago
280 posts

Some weeks ago I finished Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie, an I loved it. It's the perfect balance between her personal life and the politics of her reign, I recommend it to anyone interested in her.

10414941.jpg

Now I started reading this book, Condessa de Barral, A paixo do Imperador by Mary Del Priore, which is about the brazilian noble who was Emperor D. Pedro II's love interest. She was born in brazil and lived part of her life in France, and while so far I think the tone of the book is too much novel-like for my taste, it's very enjoyable.

cover-616-x-9255424.jpg?width=280

Tiamat Windstorm von Hirvi
@tiamat-windstorm-von-hirvi
9 years ago
359 posts

I have recently completed the third in a trilogy of novels by Hannu Rajaniemi, a Finn with a PhD in maths and physics who lives in Scotland and writes in English. The books are science fiction: The Quantum Thief, The Fractal Prince , and The Causal Angel, and they look into the matter of what may happen when life is digitized in a quantum multiverse. They aren't easy reading, and they become more challenging as they go along, because they shift your whole paradigm of what may constitute life and identity - but despite your growing apprehension of strangeness, they carry you along, and you care about the characters.

The author also pulls in the archetype of the honest thief, the tradition of storytelling that includes Robin Hood, Arsene Lupin, and Simon Templar - leading you perhaps to a little more understanding of what may lay at the heart of such icons, or at least the particular icon of Lupin, and why they fascinate us so much in their race to hide or transform their feet of clay.

There is an equally interesting interview with Dr. Rajaniemi in the Guardian, interesting to me particularly because in part it explores the matter of how the language we are speaking, and our relationships with a particular language or languages and the people with whom we tend to speak it, can transform our personas and our ways of relating with the world.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/nov/09/hannu-rajaniemi-quantu...

--
Antiquity Hedgewitch
Curtis
@curtis
9 years ago
103 posts

What am I reading, a very Intresting Question, and I afraid my anserw is probally PROFF of the rumors of my excentricitys. ( It also party to blame for my absents from SL lately, as I been distracting by the sierens call, and my free time take up with the prusing of the words on pages, or as it may be, on a strange but wonderful device I recently aquierd know as a tablet)

WATERLOO, by Bernard Cornwell

Course of Human Events, by David Mcullough

Rural Rides, by William Cobbett

Homage to Catalanonia, by George Orwell

The History of Rome, by Livy

My African Journey, by Winston Churchill

The Cruades, by Hilaire Belloc

The Historys, by Herodotus

History of the Ottoman Empier, by William DeansSons of Gentemen by Captain T.B. Greenhalgh

For All the Tea in China: How England Stole the World's Favorite Drink and Changed History-By Sarah Rose

Terry Jones Medieval Lives

Capatain Cook's Journel

Leviathan, by Hobbs

Summa Theologia, by Thomas Aquinas

The fall of Constantinople, by Charles Rivers

The English Civil War, by Robert Freeman

The G.K. Chesterson Collection

Now, a normal person, would read one book at a time, but I read 10 or 15 at a time, I read a few chapters in one, that interest fill for the moment and time to ruminate on what I taken in, then go to a totally different subject, and read a few chapters in it.

Also, I am of the opinion, that a normal person, tends to have a far narrower field of Interest than myself. I been call the collector of arcane knowledge.

Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,894 posts

Thanks for all the recent replies. Now I can round out my summer reading list!

I have read Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman a couple of times & I agree that it's excellent.

AnytimeI hear "quantum multiverse" I tend to start breaking out in hives. Fascinating material that always makes me feel rather dimwitted. I think I'll be brave & give them a look, Tiamat.

I can see why your free time could be rather restrained by reading 10 to 15 books at a time, Curtis. I thought I was being adventurous when I had 2 on the go!

--
Tatiana Dokuchic
@tatiana-dokuchic
9 years ago
1,894 posts

Just finished The Martian by Andy Weir.

It's kind of like MacGyver in space with the hero having to do a lot of problem solving in order to survive his unexpected, extended stay on Mars. Since I'm big on problem solving, I enjoyed it quite a bit!

q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=0553418025&Format=_SL250_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=tatstearoo-20

--